Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've previously posted about bones in my dogs stool, he's new to raw. Now I am finding very sharp pieces of bone in it, so sharp they could cut me. Is this OK and how long will it last. Should I add an enzyme to his diet to help digest the bones. I'm worried a sharp bone will perforate something internally. I am feeding chicken necks, backs, quarters and bone in breast.

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
Its pretty common in newly switched dogs. The bones aren't as sharp as they appear and a dog's stomach & intestines are a lot tougher than most people expect. It will take a few months for them to reduce in volume. You will occasionally see a bone for a long time but it will get less and less frequent. Everybody worries about them in the beginning. You are not alone. :smile:

No need to add enzymes. Enzymes are built in raw meat. It's one of the advantages of feeding a raw diet.

·
Registered
441 Posts
I've previously posted about bones in my dogs stool, he's new to raw. Now I am finding very sharp pieces of bone in it, so sharp they could cut me. Is this OK and how long will it last. Should I add an enzyme to his diet to help digest the bones. I'm worried a sharp bone will perforate something internally. I am feeding chicken necks, backs, quarters and bone in breast.
Maybe try feeding boneless every other meal. See if that reduces the amount of times that you see the bones. Plus, every other meal, you won't be missing out on the bones.
As RFD said, it will take some time, if I remember correctly, you have only started a couple of weeks ago. Keep up with what you are doing and let us know how things are 'moving along'! :)
Good luck again! Hope everything 'works out in the end for you'! :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you both, your responses and patience with me are very much appreciated. I feel much better!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts