Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all.

Just wanted some help and advice on dog food, since I can't seem to figure this out on my own... sorry if it has already been discussed, I couldn't find anything by searching.

So here it goes... I have a 7 (and a half) years male collie. A few months back we started giving him senior dog food; however, I mistakenly forgot to check out the ingredients, since he is allergic to chicken (it makes him vomit every day at morning). It turns out after a bit of searching that most senior dog food contains some some kind chicken ingredient. I haven't had luck finding anything for him.

So anyway, here goes the question: Does anyone know where can I buy senior dog food that doesn't have chicken in it? Or maybe some good replacement? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

P.S. Chester and Mandy say hi

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
Hello and welcome :wink:

First off, senior dog food is mostly a marketing gimmick...the only difference generally is that those formulas tend to be lower in calories than adult diets....which means more fillers and less meat content. Just feed less of a normal adult formula that he was on previously. Problem solved. Hope this helps!

ETA: They also may claim to have glucosamine and chondroitin also, but the levels are so low that it really doesn't matter. Just give a supplement instead unless you already do!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello and welcome :wink:

First off, senior dog food is mostly a marketing gimmick...the only difference generally is that those formulas tend to be lower in calories than adult diets....which means more fillers and less meat content. Just feed less of a normal adult formula that he was on previously. Problem solved. Hope this helps!

ETA: They also may claim to have glucosamine and chondroitin also, but the levels are so low that it really doesn't matter. Just give a supplement instead unless you already do!
Ha. A lot of things are marketing gimmicks now-a-days, so I can't say I'm surprised. I will try the brands shown in the "Top brands" thread, then. Thanks for the quick reply!

·
Registered
10,780 Posts
i have a senior dog....and she did well on wellness super five lamb/barley/salmon....

we also supplemented with salmon oil gel caps and glucosamine and chondroitin...

i would love to find a chondroitin only pill, since i can't find sources other than seafood..like crab, shrimp, etc.....i'm thinking it's in their shells...and my dogs don't eat shellfish....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts