Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HaHa! I put an add on freecycle for any freezer burnt meats or meats from people looking to make room for the 09/10 hunting season. Would take anything!

WOO HOOOO! I can run an ad once a week and it must be given away!

I'm stoked. I just submitted the second ad today because the 1st week was up. :biggrin: Awaiting conformation to pick up tomorrow! I think it's awesome!

·
Registered
31 Posts
I followed your example and put an ad on Craigslist. I've been contacted that someone has some iced over mystery meats that I can have. Thanks for the great idea!

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
Just got another lead off of CL :biggrin:

This time she has a freezer FULL of different cuts of beef!!! Woot!!!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Way to go!!!!!!!:biggrin:I just saw the boy that hunts on my place and told him his hunting rights were going to be revoked if he didn't bring me what he doesn't want from a deer. That should be quite a bit of everything. Hope he has a lot of luck this year. He should. They are everywhere. I could sit on my porch and shoot them, but I just can't bring myself to do it. They are so pretty.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I got a roast from 2002. :eek::biggrin: It looks like pork except the label reads beef. I even got ground lamb too and some beef patties which I hope is 100% ground beef.

I was very happy to get that response. Will be placing another ad on Thursday.

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
The only reason why people don't want to eat freezer burned meat is the change in taste, but lets face it...dogs are not that picky (or they shouldn't be at least LOL)

Other than the change in taste and texture, freezer burned meat is completely safe for dogs to consume, so why not take advantage of all the pack rats out there :biggrin:

·
Registered
109 Posts
WOW jd.:eek: That's amazing. Congrats.
BTW. the video of Akasha is great!!

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
We had a nice haul today! 93lbs of meat from 2 houses off the Craigslist ad I posted last night...

WOW! I'm really freaking jealous! :eek:

Good for you! :biggrin: A friend I know scored 400lbs last week! :eek: That is no type-o!

·
Banned
620 Posts
Way to go!!!!!!!:biggrin:I just saw the boy that hunts on my place and told him his hunting rights were going to be revoked if he didn't bring me what he doesn't want from a deer. That should be quite a bit of everything. Hope he has a lot of luck this year. He should. They are everywhere. I could sit on my porch and shoot them, but I just can't bring myself to do it. They are so pretty.

They are pretty, and it is a tough thing, but there are benefits in reducing the populations. Each year deer consistently kill more people (from road accidents) than hunters kill deer. Not to mention they bring around the ticks that can carry lime. A good size deer will yield you a lot of meat. IMO, whole prey is superior to whole prey model.

It is common for hunters to leave the entrails at the spot of the kill, maybe dig a small hole or just cover with leaves. Tell your hunter, feel free to bag up some of the entrails for the dog...heart, kidneys, lung, etc.

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
Sometimes they will be far off, sometimes they will be close. If they are close, go get the meat. If they are too far, thank them for the offer and explain that they are too far away. You migh stipulate in the ad the general area you live in. I usually don't mind traveling 30 minutes to get food but will travel for an hour for a large score. If its too far for you, you don't have to go get it.

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
Each year deer consistently kill more people (from road accidents) than hunters kill deer.
I just don't buy that statement. I know they cause automobile accidents but not nearly as many as deer that are killed.

Not to mention they bring around the ticks that can carry lime.
Thats a true statement in some parts of the country. It's not a problem around here.

A good size deer will yield you a lot of meat. IMO, whole prey is superior to whole prey model.
That is an absolute true statement. We do our best to get as close as possible to whole prey. It just isn't possible for the greatest majority of us.

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
Yeah I probably drove that far for my 100 + lbs haul as well. Totally and completely worth it.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Wow! You all are lucky! I'm going to have to try the ad thing. I live in the hills of West Virginia - I'm guessing that not many people around here even know what Craigslist is but maybe I'm guessing incorrectly. Even to go to a naturopathic doctor, I have to travel 1-1/2 hours. I guess I could do that for my dogs if the meat is free and there's enough of it.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Don't you know any hunters?? That's where I'm getting most of my venison from right now.:smile:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts