Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Friend at work just told me a very scary story. Forgive me, I only have a few pieces of information but will try to gather more from her. She told me the horrific story on her way out of work yesterday...

Her sister-in-law woke up in the morning to find one of her two full grown labs dead on the floor a few weeks ago. No history of serious illness, nothing. Just gone one morning. A week or so later...their OTHER Lab gets violently ill and they have to rush him to the Vet where he pulls through. She said the VET didn't give them many answers on what may have happened. As I understand it, she didn't opt for any type of autopsy.

I immediately start thinking of posioning. But her SIL assures her that she checked the house from top to bottom and nothing was left out anywhere. As I understand it, both of the Dogs were/are younger so it wasn't an old age case. So if it wasn't any type of poisoning, I start thinking of some severe allergic reaction...BUT BOTH of them got sick???...what are the chances of both getting sick?

Now, this is a pretty well established family...well to do, Dogs weren't living outside on chains. They were part of the family....regular Vet visits, etc...
I'm not implying that Dogs from rich families don't get sick...just that the Dog wasn't neglected in any way that I could gather. I guess the SIL was distraught and couldn't function for weeks. Understandable.

Just kind of eery. Anybody every heard of this type of thing?

I'm going to try to get some more information. I asked her to find out what food they were getting and if they changed foods recently.

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
If the first dog just died without any illness noted before bed, I would say that these were two separate cases with different causes. The dog that died probably either had a neurological problem like a stroke or a heart issue like cardiac arrest, which is not unheard of in large/giant breed dogs. Outwardly healthy dogs can and do "drop dead" from cardiac arrest, although it's not that common. While this is a difficult time for the family, to me it sounds like it's just coincidence that one of their dogs died and the other getting sick a few weeks later.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts