Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just out of curiousity, honey and i decided to look up what wolves in captivity were fed.

Woodland park zoo (Washington State) feeds their wolves: "At the zoo: Whole chickens and rabbits, beef, knuckle bones and a few trout."

San Diego Zoo: Carnivore diet consists mostly of ground beef and beef heart. It also contains additional amino acids, vitamins, and minerals such as calcium and phosphorus. 61.8 tons of carnivore diet are used in one year at the San Diego Zoo and the San Diego Zoo's Wild Animal Park!
plus they are fed large bones.

Grey Wolf food at the National Zoo in Washington, D.C.
Zoo Diet: Dry kibble dog food made for wild canines, plus treats of chicks, mice, hard-boiled eggs, and oxtail bones.

It was also noted on the San Diego zoo site, that, in the wild, wolves live 8-14 years....in captivity, up to 20 years.

we were very surprised to see that the national zoo fed kibble.

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
I actually took a class the summer after I graduated high school that was taught by a staff member of the San Diego Zoo, and I'll be totally honest, I was pretty anti-zoos before then... but a vast majority of the animals in that particular zoo are on medications or otherwise unable to survive in the wild. Anyway, it was a pretty interesting class, and we got to go behind the scenes and see all the animals a bit more up close and personal than a general zoo guest does.

Goes to show that diet and diet alone is not the ONLY factor in health and longevity.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts