Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Does anyone know if salmon oil goes rancid in the bottle? I keep hearing that the capsules for people are so much better than the salmon oil for pets. They are saying that air gets in the bottle and spoils the oil. It also has to be refrigerated. Anyone know if there is truth to this or if it's just a rumor?

It takes me awhile to get through a bottle of Grizzly salmon oil and I don't keep it in the fridge. :eek:

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
Thats the thing about raw feeding, how do you add straight fish oil to raw pieces of meat? To me it just doesn't work, I have to stick with the caps but wish there was a way to feed the fish oil only as my boy dog Leo has issues with the caps and how they are made up.

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
Yeah, not going to grind his meat but he might just lick it out of the bowl, at least I know "garbage gut" will, and its such a good price its worth a try.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Break open a 400iu vitamin E capsule & squeeze it in a newly opened bottle of any type oil & it will keep it from going rancid. Also out of sunlight helps.

·
Registered
10,780 Posts
Yeah, not going to grind his meat but he might just lick it out of the bowl, at least I know "garbage gut" will, and its such a good price its worth a try.
before i decided that malia will eat her salmon gelcap without fancy trickery and stuff...we get the pure alaskan salmon oil ones from costco...i would just cut a pocket into whatever i was serving.

on bone days...that proved to be a little hairy, so i'd put it into her morning liver....

now she takes it on her own because my hands have liver blood on them; and, consequently, on the gelcap.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I've never tried giving the salmon oil, but have wanted to. Does it make a difference and how much do you give. (87lb gsd)

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Theres usually a guide on the bottle, I give Uno 3 pumps into his dry food and he's 60 lbs, but it really depends on your dogs coat condition, if you feel like his coat is getting dry or flaky, you can add little more.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Is that all its really used for then, the coat condition, my dog has no problem there.
If you are feeding raw and you feed meats from a grocery store (factory farmed) then the meat is likely deficient in omega 3 fatty acids. If you feed wild game or grass fed beef, then you are probably fine.

Salmon oil is a great supplement to fill in the holes that could occur from meats deficient in omega 3's.

Edited to add: I didn't see that this was in the kibble section. YES, if you are feeding kibble, your dog is likely deficient in omega 3's and I would definitely recommend a salmon oil supplement.

·
Registered
10,780 Posts
to add to bdb's statement.....any dog not eating fish high in omega 3, would certainly benefit from salmon oil.....humans too :)

we don't eat enough wild fish nor do dogs....whether they are kibble fed or raw fed....

it's not just for their coats...it's for their overall health and immune systems...

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I agree fish oil has many benefits beyond just healthy skin/coat, it helps to improve cardiovascular system, reduces inflamation in the body (especially beneficial for dogs with joint problems), strengthen immune system, and can help with behavioral issues like anxiety.

·
Registered
517 Posts
I have a 64 oz bottle of grizzly oil, and I have kept it refrigerated since the day I got it, I check it periodically, and it's still got golden color, and doesn't smell nasty, or "fishy" at all. I give my 20 pound boy about a pump and a half.

I take 8-10 pills a day of Xtend-Life Omega 3, probably the best on the market right now. I do have arthritis in my hip, and it helps greatly.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Do you have to get the stuff marketed for dogs (like you see at pet stores) or can you also use regular capsules that you would find at any pharmacy?

·
Registered
517 Posts
Do you have to get the stuff marketed for dogs (like you see at pet stores) or can you also use regular capsules that you would find at any pharmacy?
You can use human fish oil pills, just cut the casing and squeeze out the oil. I did this with my boy for about a year.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts