Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I went out and bought some salmon oil capsules and vitamin E capsules to help with Mater's skin. I bought the 1000 mg capsules and Mater weighs 63 lbs. I was wondering how many I should give him a day to get his skin back to where it should be? And then how many a day for maintenance once I get his skin back to where it should be?

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
No suggestions??

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Ok, so I was reading thru some of my bully friends' info since I am currently not using either of these.
Here is what I'm finding:
One of the dogs uses liquid salmon oil. He puts 4 "pumps" in every meal. This dog is 100#+
A couple of the other people use a capsule called Aller G-3. They give 2 caps per day. This is also some sort of fish oil/omega 3 pill.
Apparently the directions on the package of these capsules are 2/day, so they are just using them as a person would.
Another uses salmon oil capsules, and they too are adding them to every meal. Not sure what the mg's are on these.
There are also others that just add a TBS of peanut oil to food.
Sorry I couldn't be of more help. Hopefully this will give you some idea.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had a friend on another forum tell me 6,000 mg for the salmon oil capsules and I feel like that is a lot. I also had someone else mention the Aller G-3 also. I might see how much those cost because I really hate having to shove 6 salmon oil capsusles and 1 vitamin E capsule down his throat.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Well, most of them just put the capsules in their food, and the dogs just eat them with their meals. So maybe you could try that rather than "shoving" them down.
Looks like they are getting them from entirelypets.com 250ct bottle runs 38.99

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
That does seem like an awful lot. I always thought of fish oil as one of those things you don't have to be terribly specific about so long as you don't overdo it. if Mater won't eat them as treats or in food, you could also try puncturing the capsule and squeezing the oil out onto the food.

The Vit E I would be a little more careful with, you don't want to overdo it with that and I really don't know the specifics on that, sorry.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
My vet told me to look at the dog food for vitamin E also and not to go over 400 IU. I do though even though there is Vitamin E in the food give my dogs each one a day 4oo IU~it one pill liquid in their morning food. I also give my 55 lb dog ONE fish oil pill. I actually get it from Sams club and have from Aldis and walmart bought them. I give him 1000 mg a day. My two labs since they my one has a little arhtritis give her 2 1000 mg pills a day and I do the other lab also it isnt going to hurt giving more. Also my 25 lb beagle gets one 1000 mg fish oil. The vet has toild me this is fine to give them.:smile: Oh I forgot, I just cut with scissors the gel pill and squirt whats in the capsule on the food. You can just throw the outer part the capsule away.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Is 1,000 mg of vitamin E a day too much?

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Reactions: dobesgalore

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'll have to go back to the store and get the 400 IU.

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
We give our 60ish pound dogs 2 capsules every few days, not every day though.

Is it possible for you to cut the vitamin E or are they capsules?

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I was told to give him some salmon oil and vitamin E every day until I can get his skin and coat back to wear it used to be and then cut back to every 3 days.

No, I can't cut the vitamin E because they are capsules.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What is the danger of giving more than 400 IU vitamin E?

·
Registered
37 Posts
What kind of vitamin E did you buy? I've never seen it come in mg, only in IU.

Anyway, here are some general guidelines:

• 0 to 25 pounds - 100 IU
• 25 to 50 pounds - 200 IU
• 50 to 75 pounds - 400 IU
• 75 to 100 pounds - 600 IU

Salmon oil (it should be liquid) should be 1000mg per 10lbs of dog.

I feed both every day at the same time. There's no reason not to feed it every day, IMO. I feed raw and these are the only supplements I think are essential. With the grain diets commercial meats are fed today, dogs (and people) get way too many omega 6's and not enough omega 3's. It doesn't matter what you feed (unless it's solely organic, grass fed meat), you won't be feeding enough omega 3's. So I supplement with salmon oil. Salmon oil uses vitamin E in the body, and vitamin E protects the omega 3's from damage. So, IMO, they are best fed together.

Vitamin E is one of the fat soluble vitamins (vitamins A,D,E, and K). They are stored in the fat cells of animals (at least in people), and you can essentially overdose on them like you would a drug.

Hope that helps!

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I bought the Spring Valley brand from Wal-Mart. It does have it labled as IU, sorry. But it is the 1,000 IU.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Ah, that makes sense. Then you would want 400 IU. But you can take the 1000 IU ones! They're great for hair and nails, I hear! ;)

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'll get to the store this week and get the 400 IU. And I'll take the 1,000 IU one because my hair and nails could use it LOL

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ha ha! I haven't done anything to my hair for months but it looks dry and gross :(

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
I had heard that if you give to much vitamin E, you can have side effects, including internal bleeding, this increases as the doses get higher. So my vet advised only give 400 IU which he like I said said that should be what is given with the amount that is included on your dog food ingredient list. But I still just give the 400 IU liquid pill that I just cut and put on top of the food.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts