Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking about using canned products for salmon and tripe, at least for now (for the weekly fish meal, and tripe to hide raw eggs for Flip).
What do you all think of this product?
Merrick Before Grain Canned Dog Food

·
Banned
493 Posts
I was wondering the same thing. Seems like a lot of moisture though. Also, what does "before grain" mean? I believe that tripe has to specially ordered because you don't want unbleached tripe. I doubt the stff you get from the pet store in a can is unbleached. It couldn't stay fresh. There's a lot of controvercy regarding tripe. Here's a link to a previous thread;

http://dogfoodchat.com/forum/raw-feeding/2310-green-tripe-yes-no.html

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
I was feeding canned tripe before going the real thing and I tried Merrick, but my dogs loved tripett, they have all sorts of variety. Beef, salmon and duckw/beef, lamb and venison. Tripett

Reactions: spookychick13

·
Registered
83 Posts
So ground unbleached tripe is good? I can get 40 LBS of unbleached ground tripe for $70. That seems like a lot if I can pick it up at the pet store when I need it right? How often do you all feed tripe?
Always questions I know...sorry

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
My dogs love the Merrick BG canned tripe. I still don't know if it's really necessary for their diet, RFD would say no, but they seem to love it and are doing well with it so why not if you can get it for a good price?

I also do canned salmon or mackerel for my dogs, so that's good as well.

And Todd, "Before Grain" is just what Merrick calls their new grain-free line of products. They're trying to imply that these products are more closely related to the "ancestral" diet of dogs and cats before grains were added. Get it?

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Honestly I was just going to give them the tripe 'for fun' or a change of pace, I don't really plan on feeding it more than once in a blue moon to maybe hide some of those chicken livers.

The salmon was what I was really interested in learning more about.

People on a different forum I frequent keep talking about how much their dogs love Jack Mack...whatever that is!

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The Merrick BG canned stuff.
I don't want to give them anything that is sodium packed because Jack is so sensitive/wimpy/genetic disastery.

·
Banned
493 Posts
Have you given any thought to fresh fish?
Yea, that's what I was thinking. You'd probably save some money as well. Merrick has to buy the fish, process it, and package it. They're obviously going to sell it for more than it's worth in order to make a profit. Fresh fish is your best bet, as far as both health and expense go.

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
Yea, that's what I was thinking. You'd probably save some money as well. Merrick has to buy the fish, process it, and package it. They're obviously going to sell it for more than it's worth in order to make a profit. Fresh fish is your best bet, as far as both health and expense go.
Fresh fish can be expensive, so I wouldn't necessarily say that it would save money every time. Depends on what you get and where you get it from.

If you have an Asian market nearby, I would stop by there and see if they have any whole, fresh, frozen sardines or scad. They are small, but whole including organs.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I got the BG cans ultra cheap because I know the owner of the pet store, and she sold them to me for cost. :)

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Have you given any thought to fresh fish?
Definitely!
I am going to wait until I can hit up the asian market and buy whole stuff and see if it's worth buying a case of tilapia.

I was going to use the cans in the interim. :)

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
I will mention that dogs will eat one kind of fish, but not another. Bailey will gladly eat tilapia, but not scad or sardines. I wouldn't assume that your dogs will eat any type of fish once they have eaten another successfully! Its weird LOL

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
A few thoughts on fish.

I ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS buy things for the human market rather than the pet food market when possible. The reason being, there are many laws and rules and regulations places on the human market, and virtually none on the pet food industry. If you want to go canned, that's not a problem, actually I find canned salmon to be MUCH more affordable than fresh here, and I'm comfortable feeding it. Of course I'd prefer to feed fresh, but not for the price difference. Have you considered buying the canned salmon at the grocery store, rather than canned salmon ment for dogs?

I have a Ranch 99 nearby, and actually got whole talapia for Annie, and whole sardines (which were actually a lot bigger than I thought sardines were) for grissom. The whole talapia is pricier than what I like to pay, so for annie, we do that twice a month, but also rely on canned mackeral twice a month. (i feed fish once a week) Grissom only eats whole fish if I virtually mutilate it first. Makes my kitchen stink, so i do it outside. I'm sure my neighbors think i'm nuts by now. lol. :rolleyes:

ETA: canned tuna is great to fill and freeze in kongs.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I assumed the canned doggie salmon would have no sodium added. :)

Thanks for all the tips! Fish night is going to be a hit I hope.

·
Banned
493 Posts
Fresh fish can be expensive, so I wouldn't necessarily say that it would save money every time. Depends on what you get and where you get it from.

If you have an Asian market nearby, I would stop by there and see if they have any whole, fresh, frozen sardines or scad. They are small, but whole including organs.
Yes, def. check out an asian market. There is one right by my house. They sell all kinds of organs and whole fish very, very inexpensively. When you go to your local grocery always look for "manager's specials".

1 - 18 of 18 Posts