Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I am just curious who here runs with their dog. I try and run with mine at least 4 times a week in the mornings and on days when I don't run, I bike ride with him running along side next to me. He seems to LOVE it. Keeps us both in great shape :)

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
We take the girls for long hikes instead of runs because they would get bored LOL

What kind of dog do you have? We have to be "gentle" on our dogs' joints because they are more prone to arthritis than most other breeds.

·
Registered
4,267 Posts
I use to run with my dog (ACD x) every morning but twisted my knee and its taking ages to get better. So now I just walk as fast as I can. We also bike every evening and sometimes in the morning if we're time crunched. She does tend to get bored when I run or walk, I'm just too slow for her. On the bike we alternate between a fast trot and running and always have a flat out race back to the house, (sometimes I win). I love it and its obvious she enjoys it too - even though I've had more than one person tell me I'm cruel, making my dog exercise so much.

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
I love it and its obvious she enjoys it too - even though I've had more than one person tell me I'm cruel, making my dog exercise so much.
You have a hearding dog. There is no such thing as too much exercise for a hearding dog. They are bred to run all day long. Back in my dog training day I had a client w/ a little mixed breed hearding dog who, if she didn't run 2 hours a day, would be a pain to live with. This dog HAD to run. Most herding dogs are like that.

ETA: On the other hand if you had a middle age English Bulldog, running it 100 yards a day would be cruel. It depends on the breed.

·
Registered
4,267 Posts
You have a hearding dog. There is no such thing as too much exercise for a hearding dog. They are bred to run all day long. Back in my dog training day I had a client w/ a little mixed breed hearding dog who, if she didn't run 2 hours a day, would be a pain to live with. This dog HAD to run. Most herding dogs are like that.
I couldn't agree with you more. I personally think its cruel not to give your dog enough exercise - according to their breed of course.

·
Registered
333 Posts
i run about 2 miles a day with mine. On lazy days, I take her to the dog park to run like hell haha.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My boy is a retriever mix. He is 2 and LOVES to run. When we go on the bike he runs about 3 miles at a time and looks like he is having the time of his life. Keeps us both happy

·
Registered
469 Posts
id love to!

but with the shelties!!
I tried running with them before. they nipped at my heels, and barked like mad!
then i tried running them on a bike. they nipped the wheels and barked like mad!

·
Registered
4,267 Posts
i tried running them on a bike. they nipped the wheels and barked like mad!
I had that same problem at the beginning as well.
Try getting the dogs use to the bike by walking them and pushing the bike at the same time (not riding it). Then standing on a pedal and pushing it along that way, then try riding very slowly.
It only took a couple of days before mine was ignoring the bike and running fine alongside. She was young though, so your's could take a bit longer.
It is so worth the effort though. I found that even walking her for 8 miles doesn't begin to get out the same energy as a 3 mile fast bike ride. And, its a lot quicker and a lot more fun for her and me.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I take my ACD mix out for bike rides 3 or 4 times a week.

I started off with a regular leash in my hands connected to her harness... then quickly learned to swap the harness with a collar to avoid her pulling to my 2' oclock too much.

Then i bought the WalkyDog bike leash, works pretty darn good! I attached a 24 inch bungee to the end of it so she actually pulls me the first half mile of our rides.

Just remember to build up their paw's tolerance!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I use a gentle leader and he does great!! Even when we pass other dogs, Chase (my dog) keeps right on running. And yes, definately make sure to build up paw tolerance and endurance. Theyre muscles can get sore as well from all that running! However I didn't worry too much about that because my guy has so much energy he is used to running around all the time.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I walk Yuffie to a park about 1/2 a mile from my city apartment. The park is huge and along the bayou, and there is a huge grassy area that is bordered by a fence. When we get there, i take her off the leash and she just takes off like speedy gonzales and zips around the place. I just have to pretend i'm chasing her before she starts running again. I like to walk but I never liked to run, and i definitely couldn't keep up with Yuffie anyways. I'm just lucky i found a place to go close enough to my home where she has the freedom to run on her own and help burn all her energy up! :)

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Shellie has hip dysplasia so I let her run on her own accord (i.e. chasing tennis balls or just zoomies at the park). Zoey just gets her little 'zoey zoomies' and Georgie is still getting used to his new home (3 months) but is starting to relax and chill more, so he has been running around crazily a few times. I have bad knees so I can't jog/run without a lot of pain, but I do walk quite a bit.

·
Registered
21 Posts
what are zoomies? is that a cute name for when a dog likes to run in circles? because yuffie does that! just haven't heard "zoomies" before.

L

·
0 Posts
Hello, I am just curious who here runs with their dog. I try and run with mine at least 4 times a week in the mornings and on days when I don't run, I bike ride with him running along side next to me. He seems to LOVE it. Keeps us both in great shape :)
This probably doesn't count because I don't actually RUN with my dogs. BUT, I take them out twice daily to be exercised for at least 45 minutes to an hour each time. They run wide open, chase birds and squirrels, swim, chase frisbees and tennis balls, until they are pooped. Fortunately I live close to many wonderful wide-open spaces where the dogs can run to their heart's content. I use a whistle and treats for recall and they've been very good.
My trick is, I exercise them before meals, so that they are actually working for their food. They know they will get a meal about 30 minutes after we get home from exercising. This routine works well because they are well-behaved after they've been exercised.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts