Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. My name is Roz and I am owned by 3 dogs and 2 cats. Maggie is my 13yr old Sheltie-border collie mix, Bella is my 8 yr old Catahoula, and Duke is my baby at 5yrs old, german shepherd mix. all are rescues, and are sweethearts. The cats tolerate us all, but since one is 20yrs old and the other is 13, we can live with that.

My guys have been eating Iams active maturity for a while now, mixed with Iams canned chicken and rice food. I am looking for information on perhaps a better quality food for them in their mature years. Any information would be appreciated.
Thanks.

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
Welcome to the boards!

I would switch them off of it right away, well over time, but start the transition now! Iams is not a good food, and you will see a better improvement in overall health after switching.

I would recommmend that you go onto the website below to figure out what you think is best. Personally I would recommend Orijen or EVO.

Dog Food Analysis - Reviews of kibble

Good luck and happy posting :biggrin:

·
Banned
493 Posts
Yes I agree, IAMS is a very low quality food. The best diet for them would be a raw diet, consisting of fresh raw meat, organ meat, and raw bone. That is what a lot of us here on the forum feed our dogs and cats. I encourage you to have a look at past forums and or do some research on raw prey model feeding. Below I have also listed some links where you can read about raw feeding;

www.rawfeed.com

www.rawlearning.com

www.rawfeddogs.net

If you choose to stick with commercial dog and cat food, it's always best to try something grain-free, considering that grains are not very digestible for dogs, and have little to no nutritional value to them. Here are some of the top, grain-free commercial dog foods I would recommend;

EVO, Origin, Taste Of The Wild, Instinct, Wellness Core, Solid Gold, and Canidae, Timberwolf Organics, among others.

If those foods are a bit expensive for you, here are some other higher quality pet foods with grains, but also hight quality ingredients;

Innova, Chicken Soup For The Pet Lover's Soul, AvoDerm, Blue Buffalo, Natural Balance, California Natural, and Acana, Merrick, among others.

If you're looking for a pet food more along the price lines of IAMS, here are some of those pet foods, but much higher quality than IAMS;

Premium Edge, Fromm, Nutro, Diamond Naturals, among others.

*The good thing about buying a high quality pet food, is that you may save money in the long run, not only in vet bills, but high quality kibble makes so you can feed your dog less, filling him up, and providing him with just as much/more nutrition.

*Also, try considering feeding your pets canned wet food rather than fry food, because that more closely mimics what they would eat in the wild.

*If you decide to feed commercial foods instead of homemade or raw, still try to give your pet's some fresh meat and raw, meaty bones as often as possible.

****Hope I could help!:smile:****

Reactions: TexasRoz
L

·
0 Posts
Hi everyone. My name is Roz and I am owned by 3 dogs and 2 cats. Maggie is my 13yr old Sheltie-border collie mix, Bella is my 8 yr old Catahoula, and Duke is my baby at 5yrs old, german shepherd mix. all are rescues, and are sweethearts. The cats tolerate us all, but since one is 20yrs old and the other is 13, we can live with that.

My guys have been eating Iams active maturity for a while now, mixed with Iams canned chicken and rice food. I am looking for information on perhaps a better quality food for them in their mature years. Any information would be appreciated.
Thanks.
Welcome, Roz & the furry crew! I also have a GSD mix, also rescued, and the absolute best! Happy learning .... lots of good stuff here.

·
Banned
539 Posts
Here is a list of what I think are some of the better dog foods (kibbles) and they are not in any order, but the 4 in bold are my fav's

Artemis
Blue Wilderness
Go
Horizon Legacy
Evo
Innova
Instinct
Orijen
Taste of the Wild
Wellness
Acana
Fromm
Merrick
Canidae
Evanders
Earthborn
Natures Variety
Natures logic
Solidgold
Pinnacle
Timberwolf
Blue Buffalo
Halo
California Natural
Natural Balance

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum!
You will find great info on nutrition here!

Iams is right up there with Purina, Eukanuba, Bil Jack,Science Diet, Kibbles N Bits, just not good food. People gte fooled by their advertising. They are on tv so must be great food! Not always! Reading the ingredients is a great thing to do when finding dog food!
Go to~
Dog Food Analysis - Reviews of kibble
This will help you in choosing some better quality foods!:smile:

Orijen, Innova Evo, Merrick, Wellness core, Fromm, Instinct, Natures Variety these are just some of the good foods out there!
Good Luck!:smile:

Reactions: TexasRoz

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
Welcome to the forum! I also have 3 dogs and 2 cats. :biggrin:
You've already been given some great advice, so I won't go there for now, just hope you enjoy the forum and stick around. We're got some great people around here- and lots of new people right now, which is always nice.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts