Dog Food Chat banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
It's not anything like eating spaghetti every day. Spaghetti dinner is semolina flour, water, ground beef and tomato sauce, that's it.

·
Registered
791 Posts
It's not anything like eating spaghetti every day. Spaghetti dinner is semolina flour, water, ground beef and tomato sauce, that's it.
I have to agree with that. If the kibble you're feeding is equal to the nutritional value of spaghetti you're in trouble. But I get what they meant in that the same repative thing over and over again isn't what they view as healthy. Who knows what's "right"? I would lean more towards adding in fresh ingredients being more valuable than tossing up the kibbles. I will say I did feed my cat a rotation diet but that was mainly because I wasn't satisified with them, not her. I've found one I am happy with and don't really allow myself to change it because for one I don't feel like there's anything better and for another thing she's doing well so I'm going to let it be. I do add in enzymes/krill oil for her...and occasionally she'll eat a fresh bite of food but rare. She's going to be eight this year and never been to the vet so fingers crossed!

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
I "rotate" Abbie a lot. Usually each 15 lb bag (which lasts us about a month) she would get a new food. I would introduce the food over a few days by mixing it with the old food, and never had any stomach upset.

Right now I'm feeding her just Earthborn's Great Plains Feast for awhile, as she was getting itchy and pink, and I wasn't sure if it was environmental or food related, but I wanted to keep her on one food for awhile that I know she does well on.

Her belly is less pink and itching has gone down, but I still don't know what caused it lol.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I have to agree with that. If the kibble you're feeding is equal to the nutritional value of spaghetti you're in trouble. But I get what they meant in that the same repative thing over and over again isn't what they view as healthy. Who knows what's "right"? I would lean more towards adding in fresh ingredients being more valuable than tossing up the kibbles. I will say I did feed my cat a rotation diet but that was mainly because I wasn't satisified with them, not her. I've found one I am happy with and don't really allow myself to change it because for one I don't feel like there's anything better and for another thing she's doing well so I'm going to let it be. I do add in enzymes/krill oil for her...and occasionally she'll eat a fresh bite of food but rare. She's going to be eight this year and never been to the vet so fingers crossed!
LOL! I love how you guys take things to the extreme. NO I did NOT mean that it was the same nutritional value of spaghetti, just the same thing over and over again. I know I would get tired of that. And I know my dog does as well. If he gets kibble constantly (because I've been lazy) he starts eating slower and he has never been a great eater all his life. I can't have this dog go off of feed, I just can't, changing it up keeps him interested in eating, then he gladly goes back to his kibble only meals with gusto!

·
Registered
31 Posts
I feed my dog the same way i feed my family, which is a large variety of everything!

My dog gets a different protein mixed with his kibble every night, and the same with his morning meal. I rotate through a few different brands of kibble as well. The only reason i feed dry food at all is kind of like an insurance policy that he's getting everything he needs, but in general he gets more real food as well as RMB's than he does processed foods.

His menu this week for his dinner meals (mixed with kibble)

Monday- Green tripe
Tuesday pork and pumpkin
Wednesday- chicken
Thursday- Beef and liver
Friday- Chicken and Lamb heart
Saturday- Lamb
Sunday- Venison

Unfortunately he doesnt like canned or fresh fish, but i feed him a fish based kibble in his rotation, which he loves.

·
Premium Member
4,271 Posts
I feed my dog the same way i feed my family, which is a large variety of everything!

My dog gets a different protein mixed with his kibble every night, and the same with his morning meal. I rotate through a few different brands of kibble as well. The only reason i feed dry food at all is kind of like an insurance policy that he's getting everything he needs, but in general he gets more real food as well as RMB's than he does processed foods.

His menu this week for his dinner meals (mixed with kibble)

Monday- Green tripe
Tuesday pork and pumpkin
Wednesday- chicken
Thursday- Beef and liver
Friday- Chicken and Lamb heart
Saturday- Lamb
Sunday- Venison

Unfortunately he doesnt like canned or fresh fish, but i feed him a fish based kibble in his rotation, which he loves.
That's good variety. Just add some fish/krill oil a couple times a week for omega 3's and you are good. I wouldn't add kibble with that. What you are feeding in raw beats kibble l day.

·
Registered
31 Posts
That's good variety. Just add some fish/krill oil a couple times a week for omega 3's and you are good. I wouldn't add kibble with that. What you are feeding in raw beats kibble l day.
Thanks. He gets fish oil everyday too. I honestly dont know why i bother with kibble, as it's such a small amount, he gets just under 1/2 a cup a day.

And it's nice to see there are still people reading/posting here :love:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Is there any study to support it? I'm interested
I dont know of any studies, but to me it's common sense. I can't see how feeding a dog the exact same food every day, for every meal for the entirety of it's life is healthy. I think a little bit of everything (dog healthy) is the way to go, this way they're getting a full range of different nutrients, not to mention they appreciate variety as much as we do, at least my dogs always have.

·
Registered
10 Posts
But if the food they eat every day its healthy and they like it, even if its the same, I don't see whyyou should change it

·
Registered
31 Posts
But if the food they eat every day its healthy and they like it, even if its the same, I don't see whyyou should change it
Would you enjoy and be healthy eating a bowl of the same fortified dry cereal day in day out for every single meal for the rest of your life?

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
The problem with feeding the same thing day in and day out is, IMO, when things “go wrong”. There’s been recalls recently of foods with excessive vitamin d. If you fed only that food, your pup has definitely been overdosed in that vitamin while if you fed a variety the excess will be lessen. And if you can’t get “your” brand for awhile, your pup is more likely to have an upset digestive system.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I rotate my dogs food with each bag (and sometimes I alternate between two different bags). Luckily, my boys seem to like everything and don't seem to have any digestive issues when I switch it up.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts