Dog Food Chat banner

Rocky got His Chicken Finally!

2K views 16 replies 7 participants last post by  magicre 
#1 ·
Well, the two beasties finally got their first chicken meal for supper tonight. They haven't had any kibble since yesterday afternoon. I put Rocky's chicken in his pan and he licked it a few times (he's so dainty) then he gobbled it up.

Chow's can be SOOOOOO appreciative! He just stood in the living room and stared at me for a few minutes. It was getting a little creepy. Then he leaned against up against me and snuggled my legs, kissed my feet, then chewed on my hand a few times! I almost had to pry the dog off of me! After that he climbed in his bed and fell sound asleep.

Chelsy went to town on her chicken. I had to help her a little and finally took it out of her pan and put it on the floor for her but she loved it and ate every last bit. She's sound asleep now, too. We used the grinder on her food since she tried but could not chew the wing at all. The really coarse blade made the meat and bones about the size that she would have made them if she could have chewed them herself. It's a commercial machine and I'm really happy with the size it made the bones for Chelsy. She still gets to crunch on them but at least she can actually eat something and not get discouraged like she did with the whole wing. We left it completey raw for her (my husband no longer feels the need to cook any of the meat for the dogs).

They got small portions and will get no more food for the rest of today. These were chicken wings because I haven't found any chicken backs yet. We're going to go out tomorrow and see if I can find chicken backs or anything else. So far I have wings and quarters.

See less See more
#2 ·
The dogs are content! You won't find chicken backs, you'll have to ask a grocer or butcher to order some for you. Good Luck!

#6 ·
My Safeway will order chicken backs for me by the case. If you have a Safeway near by check there.

I am soooo glad that their first meal went so well! That is so awesome! Not only do the dogs feel great....don't you too?!? :biggrin: Keep us posted on how they do....

#7 ·
Everything seems to be going well but Rocky swears he is hungry! Normally he eats very little and will leave two cups of kibble in a pan for two days before he eats it.

I am guestimating that he is suppose to eat 1.5 pounds of chicken a day based on him weighing 80 pounds, but he is swearing that he is starving to death at that amount. I don't want to overfeed him at this point. I have no idea what his poops are like. I spent the last two days sneaking around behind him in the woods trying to catch him in the 'act' and he he keeps spotting me and looking at me like he just can't believe that I am invading his privacy that way!

This is the dog that held it for 5 days on our trip out west because he was on a leash and there was no where 'private enough' for him to do his business, so we'll just assume he's pooped in the woods somewhere and it's normal.

I gave Chelsy some of the leftover Primal premade raw that I still have and she stared at it and gave me this look like "what is this crap?" and refused to eat it! I had to mix it with her 'real chicken' to get her to eat it. I paid $18 for that bag so she's going to finish it - the rotten little dog! It's a lot easier to figure out how much food to give her. Just a little plateful and she's done for the day.

So, no digestive issues from their real food so far - Rocky had some hiccups the first day but that was it. Other then starving him to death, they are fine.

#11 ·
Hey Chowder..that's funny about the premade raw. I bought a Bravo or Primal blend for our Colorado vacation...I thought Jody would just love it. Not..she tolerated it but didn't enjoy it. There are so many vegetables in there that go in the same way they come out green and unprocessed.

I really thought she would like the premade raw more but that's not the case. She prefers meat...no additives:smile:

#12 ·
I know. Chelsy was really enjoying the Primal until she got real chicken! Of the two of them, both dogs like the Bravo better and Rocky couldn't have the Primal at all....it has Flaxseed in it and he started itching like crazy on it. Luckily I got just one bag of Primal and Chelsy can finish it eventually.

If I ever have to buy any again, I would stick to the Bravo. It has less ingredients then the Primal:

chicken, chicken frames, chicken organs (liver, gizzards, hearts), green beans, broccoli, acorn squash, salt, potassium chloride, vitamin E, zinc oxide, copper sulfate, ferrous sulfate, manganous oxide, potassium iodide, vitamin D

The guy at the store gave me free samples and the dogs really liked them. At least I know I could pick them up if we were on a trip or something and there's nothing in there that Chelsy or Rocky are allergic too. But, they are REALLY expensive.

#8 ·
2%-3% of 80 is 1.6 to 2.4 pounds of food a day.
I am starting my guys out at the low end too and then adjust as time goes on. Lucky could actually loose a bit of weight.

Lucky is 50 pounds, I am feeding her 1 pound a day.
Duncan is a little over 4 months old and about 45 pounds. Adult weight of 140-150 pounds. He is getting 3 pounds a day.

ETA: I ment to say that I am so glad that things are going so well! That's awesome news!

#9 ·
I would stick with 1.5 pounds for now. Remember that dogs can utilize more of the raw food that they use, hence why they poop so much less. So even a small amount of raw food goes a long way! It doesn't take much at all to overfeed with raw. If you notice him getting a bit thin, go ahead and add an addition 1/2 pound per day for a few days to a week. Then reassess his body condition and adjust again slightly if necessary.

Glad that all is going well so far! Keep up the good work!!!

#10 ·
Your going to get that starving look even when they are getting plenty of food, LOL Dogs just love raw food it is amazing to see dogs that didn't want to eat kibble that much become ravenous on raw!

#14 ·
i have to admit, my kids love love love the sardine grind....
Even our dogs have their "Twinkie" vices!! But, better that then giving them Snausages and Pupperoni's!

I'll have to check out the sardine grinds. It might be an option for Chelsy for her Omega 3's. Luckily with little dogs you can splurge once in awhile. Today she got 3 cubes of Primal and she is full for the day! It's a lot harder to fill up Rocky.

#17 ·
i don't think it's your imagination....switching to raw might take some time 'cause their digestive systems change and the nutrients have an effect on them right down to the molecular level....but a few days to a week of raw and the energy that emanates from them is different....they are different...

and month after month....wow.

the link i sent you is what primal offers in grinds....i thought i remembered you saying that chelsy didn't have many teeth left....and these offer her a large variety...has bone in it...i've spoken to the primal people...they're located in california.....

since my dogs have plenty of teeth, i don't feel the need to use grinds, but had my older dog lived with me, her teeth were so bad, that most likely, had she lived, i would have pulled her teeth and fed her these grinds....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.