Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I have a silky terrier, 15lbs. He is a GULPER and I’m struggling to figure out how to give him his daily RMB portion without him basically swallowing it whole 😕 today while prepping for my 2 wks worth of food, I decided to portion out his weekly RMB supply & haphazardly chop it into larger pieces, dispersing into however much that came out to per day (usually I portion for “complete” daily MM/OM/RMB - I’ve been raising a puppy in addition to the silky terrier -5yr old- so daily requirements are needed, is what I’ve been told). Anywho.... the Silky Terrier is small, his RMB requirements are small as well, so I’m struggling with how to get the bone content he needs without him choking on the small pieces..I’ve read a lot about “balance over time” - does that mean I can give him 1/2 a game hen and then no more RMB for that week? Is that balance over TOO much time — any suggestions?? Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
4,271 Posts
What RMBs are you giving now? You can give drumsticks, or whole Turkey necks. Don't cut the bones, that makes for dangerous irregular sharp edges.

As far as balance over time goes, that depends on your dog. It may be bone just a couple of times a week, or it may be every other day. They are all different, and some require more bone than others.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What RMBs are you giving now? You can give drumsticks, or whole Turkey necks. Don't cut the bones, that makes for dangerous irregular sharp edges.

As far as balance over time goes, that depends on your dog. It may be bone just a couple of times a week, or it may be every other day. They are all different, and some require more bone than others.
I feed mostly bird it seems RMB for him — turkey/chicken necks, chicken wings/drums/thigh & quarter pieces, back pieces, an occasional rabbit head... but all these parts I’ve been chopping into a daily portion (he does best on 50%RMB 40%MM 10%OM) so for his small weight, I give just 2.8oz RMB — that makes for small serving daily. Which is why I chop pretty much all the bone I give him. No problems on the “back end” passing thus far. I chop it into one piece totaling the day’s requirement, but those are proving to be too small of a piece since he literally gulps it. So I guess I’ll just try this new method (balance over the one week) and see if his body agrees with it? Vet says his teeth look great (been raw for about 7mos, previously had 4 teeth pulled on kibble, went in for what I thought was a needed annual cleaning & vet cancelled it!). So the little chewing he’s doing is working for his teeth — but I need him to actually chew that bone up! 😉
Was wondering what any other Small Breed raw dogs eat for bone & sizes.

·
Premium Member
4,271 Posts
You need to give bones that are too large to gulp. If it's too much bone, you can always take part of it up and give at the next meal. Feeding frozen also helps.

Don't cut the bones...thats contributing to the gulping and does pose a hazard to the insides and for choking, vs whole not cut.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You need to give bones that are too large to gulp. If it's too much bone, you can always take part of it up and give at the next meal. Feeding frozen also helps.

Don't cut the bones...thats contributing to the gulping and does pose a hazard to the insides and for choking, vs whole not cut.
Got it - I didn’t even think about taking it up when it’s been enough. Thank you so much!

·
Premium Member
4,271 Posts
Welcome! Glad to help!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts