Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this has probably been covered but maybe we can go over it again since I am a little dense. Rocky and Chelsy eat Orijen and EVO plus canned 95% meat food, and I want to give them some RMB's for recreation and teeth cleaning. (They don't eat raw because we travel in a motor home with a tiny freezer and my husband want's nothing to do with it). But Chelsy has very few front teeth left and a SEVERE overshot jaw. I'm talking trouble even picking up food here. But she has molars left and would enjoy gnawing on a bone for recreation.

Rocky has a typical Chow ability to chomp thru anything in minutes.

Back in the old days we would give dogs big 'soup bones' or knuckle bones and they would enjoy them for days but I guess that is forbidden now? I've seen you say beef ribs but where do I get them? Do I just go to the grocery and buy a pack of beef spare ribs? Is that what they are called? They seem awfully small to give Rocky for recreational chewing. Plus they are pretty darn expensive. Soup bones used to be so cheap and easy!

Right now all Rocky gets to chew on are bully sticks and he polishes them off in minutes. Chelsy gets nothing because she can't chew anything and when I give her something she just looks at me like I"m nuts and walks away. I thought maybe real bones would encourage her to chew.

Sorry to be a little dense on this but I don't want to give them something they're going to choke on right away. They sell all those prewrapped smoked bones in the grocery store but I thought you said to stay away from those, too.

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
Beef ribs is the ones you want, I guess I pay about $1.70 lb for a rack, sometimes, you can find them in a package with about 8 instead of a whole rack.

Reactions: Jodysmom

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
You can by all means give your dogs soup bones, but it will really stink if they break a tooth! I know from lots of experience. That cheap and easy soup bone can quickly turn into an expensive, painful disaster. I don't recommend it at all.

I second the beef ribs. You can buy racks at walmart for less than $2 per pound. Cut ribs off in twos and give them. Don't be surprised if you see diarrhea because they can be a shock to the system of a kibble fed dog.

I also think turkey necks are a great RMB for supplementing kibble. They won't last long but are a good chew for even tough chewers. They are super lean too.

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You can by all means give your dogs soup bones, but it will really stink if they break a tooth! I know from lots of experience. That cheap and easy soup bone can quickly turn into an expensive, painful disaster. I don't recommend it at all.

I second the beef ribs. You can buy racks at walmart for less than $2 per pound. Cut ribs off in twos and give them. Don't be surprised if you see diarrhea because they can be a shock to the system of a kibble fed dog.

I also think turkey necks are a great RMB for supplementing kibble. They won't last long but are a good chew for even tough chewers. They are super lean too.
Okay, I have to go to the store today so I will look for those. Giving Chelsy a turkey neck is going to be an experience. I'll have to take pictures. She is a 13 year old Lhasa with only a partial bottom jaw and she's never had a real bone in her life so this is going to ba a real hairy mess but she should have fun.

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
Turkey necks won't be easy to find!

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Beef ribs is the ones you want, I guess I pay about $1.70 lb for a rack, sometimes, you can find them in a package with about 8 instead of a whole rack.
Well, I went to the store this morning. I guess we get the "Nordstrum's " meat here. They had beef ribs ON SALE for $2.49 a pound for a rack of 8. No turkey necks at all. I thought maybe I would get Chelsy some chicken wings and they were ON SALE for $1.99 a pound. So I ended up getting the beef ribs because for 8 of them it was still cheaper then bully sticks or pigs ears. I thought that was a ridiculous price for chicken wings so I would rather give Chelsy the little beef rib at the end to gnaw on.

They will get their first 'real bone' later on this afternoon. I'll let you know what they think about it. And I"ll start shopping around for better prices. I also have to convince my husband that the rack of angus ribs in the fridge is not his dinner! You can tell I don't buy meat for us that often, these prices shocked me! I usually get the marked down meat with the yellow stickers and the major stuff on sale, and I've never bought ribs, so I never have looked at real prices before. ouch!

·
Registered
4,267 Posts
You must live near me :smile: Picked up chicken wings this morning, from Walmart, $8.00 for 4lbs. I'm always telling my husband that the ribs in the fridge are dog food, not fit for human consumption. So far he's been sucked in!

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
Just the other day I got a rack of beef ribs at Walmart for my two. I did end up trimming some of the meat and fat off. No diarrhea and both dogs LOVED them! They stayed chewing on them for quite a while. :biggrin:

·
Registered
184 Posts
Beef ribs in my area are at least $2.50-3 a pound. I'm just waiting for the day they go on sale. My friend's parents own a resort so I'm going to have her ask their wholesaler how much they charge for them if I buy 40#.

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Beef ribs in my area are at least $2.50-3 a pound. I'm just waiting for the day they go on sale. My friend's parents own a resort so I'm going to have her ask their wholesaler how much they charge for them if I buy 40#.
I think meat must be cheaper out west. Here in NC I ended up paying $2.50 a pound on sale. I got 7 ribs for $5.50 which was still cheaper then bully sticks so I bought them and they lasted a lot longer then a bully stick does.

I"m gonna check out other stores and see what sales I can find. There has to be a cheaper place to find ribs. These didn't even have that much meat on them. I wouldn't have made good barbecue out of them!

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
If you have a freezer and want to give these to your dogs on a regular basis for the dental benefits find yourself a rest. suplly wholesaler and ask to buy a case at a discounted price. I buy these by the case as my dogs go through them frequently, although now they have some good emu rib chews.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts