Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I subscribed to rawmeatybones bewsletters and I did some reading. it surprised me how "distant" are these two cultures.
-------------------------------------------------------

" ....Have you heard of the so-called Prey Model diet — that obsession with
dietary ingredients and percentages of ingredients that at one level
imitates the Raw Meaty Bones diet, but then distorts and distracts from
key principles? Imitation, they say, is the greatest compliment. Perhaps —
- but plagiarism and sabotage don’t rate highly in anyone’s estimation.

Some people use the term RMB diet and Prey Model diet interchangeably. By
blurring the edges those who plagiarise the RMB information gain some
illicit credibility —- they use stolen goods as if they were the rightful
owners. However, the majority of people calling themselves Prey Modellers
should not be blamed. They don’t know the history and are prevented from
knowing the detail. They are victims of the Prey Model leadership’s
ambitions......"
--------------------------------------------

personally I don't know what to think since I am still new to all this, but it is disconcerting to see two good ideologies clashing... And on what anyway?

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Yeah, someone is Dr. Bitterpants these days!

I got the newsletter too and I was surprised at how angry he was.

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
Maybe it's just a more appropriate name for it!

ETA: Because to me, "Raw meaty bones" sounds like it's just the raw meaty bones. It doesn't imply that ones should add organs, eggs, fish, or anything else to the diet. Prey Model Raw sounds a lot more like it's going to be modeling the prey they eat raw in the wild.

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
I personally think the "movement" is not going as fast because of the scare tactics and propaganda that are used by the pet food industry and veterinarians. There are very few and far between true "horror" stories when in comes to raw feeding, but they are blow WAY out of proportion. Just think of all the sick dogs from recalls alone...

Dr. Lonsdale is a smart man, I just find his reasoning to be a bit off the wall. Oh well.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When I read these things I get my ghosts back to me asking whether I am doing the correct thing: meat, bones and organs (mostly liver anyway) is all I am feeding my dog. Please tell me whether is not an appropriate diet.

What is the difference between prey and rmb? skin, eyes, feet, ears, etc.?

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
When I read these things I get my ghosts back to me asking whether I am doing the correct thing: meat, bones and organs (mostly liver anyway) is all I am feeding my dog. Please tell me whether is not an appropriate diet.
This is an appropriate diet. There is not a better one to be found. I have known Tom for a long time and sometimes he gets carried away with little details and will rant about them for a long time. There is basically no difference between prey model and raw meaty bones diets. To me they are one and the same. I use the terms interchangably. I don't care what the diet is called. It's what is fed that is what's important.

What is the difference between prey and rmb? skin, eyes, feet, ears, etc.?
In my mind, nothing. I say I feed a prey model diet but it's probably closer to an rmb diet. The differences are so minute that I don't even think about them.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I received and read the newletter as well and ended up with more questions than answers. I even bought his book, Raw Meaty Bones, and still left wondering what he advocates feeding. I was hoping for more details
on how to actually feed a raw diet. Is his second book, Works Wonders, more detailed? Does he feel like the 80-10-10 is too restrictive/legalistic or
just object to the different name? Thankfully I have learned a wealth of
information on this website.

ETA: I know he advocates adding a small portion of table scraps but to be honest on most nights Jody eats better than us :)

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
Does he feel like the 80-10-10 is too restrictive/legalistic or just object to the different name? Thankfully I have learned a wealth of information on this website.
I hate to try to put words in his mouth as he is more than capable of doing that himself but I think he, like me, just feels like its an arbitrary number. Exact amounts of any nutrients in any diet are just not critical. Do you measure your own diet as to exactly how much protein, fat, and calcium you eat? I know I don't and I know a lot of other healthy people who pay no attention to numbers. As long as you feed mostly meat, some bone, and some organs, you and your dog are ok. Exact amounts or percentages or ratios are entirely unimportant and will make no difference in the overall health of your dog.

I THINK that is one of the reasons he is not big on "prey model" diet. However I say I feed prey model and I never pay any attention whatsoever to those numbers.

ETA: I know he advocates adding a small portion of table scraps but to be honest on most nights Jody eats better than us :)
I think maybe the word "advocate" may be a little strong. My understanding of what he says is that "table scraps won't harm your dog and MAY do some good." That is hardly a ringing endorcement of feeding table scraps, rather saying is ok if you want to. I never feed table scraps other than what little meat is left over from our meals.

Now the true prey modelers would say never every under any circumstances feed plant matter. Tom says it won't hurt. Thats probably his most serious objection to the prey modelers. BTW: Tom is the one who talked me into stop feeding regular veggie mixes to my dogs. So go figure. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts