Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I came across a website of a Rescue/Shelter operation in which they indicated that their dogs or some of them came from Laboratories. I thought this practice was outlawed. For someone to experiment on dogs so that the public would benefit is appalling to me. This is one of these things that stays in your thoughts and hard to get rid of. When these laboratories have no longer use of their animals, they they dump them off at these rescue operations. It seems to me, that the rescue operators are keeping these laboratories in business as I also heard that the labs also breed dogs for their illicit business. Comments?

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
nope its not illegal unfortunately, some "shelters" will sell animals that nobody has adopted out or are set to be euthanized to labs for experiments, unfortunately I know that a lot of dogs that get stolen from backyards are also sold for profit.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its a damn shame that Rescue/Shelter operations cannot be supported by our taxes. Then these experimentors would be run out of business. I am about to adopt a beagle and the operators which I believe are mostly volunteers have indicated that he is in good health with up to date shots and has just been neutered. I might be able to pick him up before the weekend is out.
When I first looked at the dogs in the kennels, I indicated that there were two beagles I was interested in and I named them as preferance #1 and #2.

While at home, I kept thinking about dog #2 because his demeanor indicated to me that he misses his owner or was abused or perhaps just scared and I kept thinking I should have made him #1. Well it turned out that #1 and #2 were in line to be picked by other families and I was next in line to get my choice. As it turned out, a family took #1 but #2 was not accepted. I received a call from the shelter and I said that I would accept the dog. As the dog bonds with me and with good food and exercise, I believe his demeanor will change for the better.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Yesterday I came across a website of a Rescue/Shelter operation in which they indicated that their dogs or some of them came from Laboratories. I thought this practice was outlawed. For someone to experiment on dogs so that the public would benefit is appalling to me. This is one of these things that stays in your thoughts and hard to get rid of. When these laboratories have no longer use of their animals, they they dump them off at these rescue operations. It seems to me, that the rescue operators are keeping these laboratories in business as I also heard that the labs also breed dogs for their illicit business. Comments?
I used to work for a 'lab' that would work with dogs. They used specific types of dogs that they would buy legally. The act of lab testing that you are thinking of IS illegal!! What they are allowed to do with the dogs, and have done with the dogs is more of; I don't know if you know of anyone or are someone who has asthma, but they will test different strengths of the nebulizer meds, that are not unhealthy for the dogs, on the dogs before they will send it out to be used on people. They DO NOT put chemicles in their eyes, or force them to take life threatening medications or anything like that. If they do, or if they have been caught doing things like that, they are shut down and there is a very heavy fine that they have to pay!!
I will not say that I agree with laboratory animal testing, but without it, we would be so much further behind in our knowledge of modern medicine. Plus, laboratories can ONLY buy from approved breeders. That applies to ALL species of animals.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts