Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My brother-in-law found 3 boxer puppies, at a contructions site in a manhole. They called us because we have 2 boxers,Luke and Sara brother and sister we have had for 4 yrs. These puppies have mange which we are treating with medication from the vet.They all so had worms which the vet said was from eating each others pooh, all so being treated. My question is, we feed them 3 times a day but we can not get to STOP eating pooh. They are about 7 to 9 weeks old. Thanks

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
Sometimes dogs eat poo. They do it at all ages. There is not much you can do to effectively stop it except remove it before they get a chance at it. I had 2 Golden Retrievers several years ago that both did and I tried many different "remedies" and none worked. I know it's gross but evidently not to them. Sometimes my dogs would race me to a pile hoping to get it before I could get it up. Good luck.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sometimes dogs eat poo. They do it at all ages. There is not much you can do to effectively stop it except remove it before they get a chance at it. I had 2 Golden Retrievers several years ago that both did and I tried many different "remedies" and none worked. I know it's gross but evidently not to them. Sometimes my dogs would race me to a pile hoping to get it before I could get it up. Good luck.
Thanks, for the laugh we do try to get to it first.

·
Registered
523 Posts
I went through that too. Esecially when it snows out. Seems my standard likes it frozen like a delicacy... yuck! I use to chase her in the beginning when she did it and it became a game for her so now I just let her have what she gets and clean up the rest. Anyways, I do try to pick it up each and every time one of my dogs go pooh and sometimes I miss one or two. This may be an "old wives tale" but someone at my work told me to put a small amount of meat tenderizer on the food I give them. I only started doing this this last week so I can't say if it's working or not. But I feel if this works it's an easy thing to do.

I would think because that's what they survived on for awhile it may be a little more difficult to stop this behavior. If you are training them you could try using the "leave it" command or a stern "no" may do the job.

Good luck!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts