Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I go on Craigslist regularly to look for a new addition to our family. Today, I found Maddox. A 1 year old Pit Bull male who needs a home because his owner found out she was pregnant. In the listing she claimed "unexpected life changes" until I talked with her further. He's a healthy dog, well socialized around all other animals and children of all ages. He is coming to my house tomorrow. I cannot wait to get him. I don't understand why someone would/could give up an animal just because they're bringing a baby into the world. If the pet is so great around children why rehome him? For "safety" sake? You'd think the baby would be SAFER in a home with a dog. JMO. Luckily Maddox will get a loving forever home.

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
Yeah I hate it when people use that excuse. I call it LAZY! My mom raised all of us with animals and we all grew up just fine (well, some of us better than others IMO hehe). Is Maddox (cool name btw) neutered?

·
Registered
257 Posts
Yay for Maddox!! Glad to hear you are giving him a forever home! With his breed sometimes if they dont get a forever home their future is not the best. What color is he? What about his ears? I have to ask because I think that Pitbulls have some of the funniest ears ever!. I always say Peanut has his personality and his ears have their own!! He's natural eared. My dad has one that has full prick ears they look like satellies! Post some pictures! I would love to see him!

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
LOL ok ok I'm posting! China has natural ears as well as Maddox. And no, Maddox isn't neutered but he will be through the Hello Bully program in Pittsburgh, PA. I love that place. *Off to the picture place for pictures of Maddox!*

·
Registered
257 Posts
Maybe someone told her that she shouldn't have a pit bull with kids?

I don't know why people get rid of pets just because of a pregnancy. If a dog doesn't like kids, and you want to have kids, then don't get the dog in first place. I had dogs, cats and babies at the same time, never had a problem. Dogs and babies can co-exist just fine, nobody should leave a baby alone with a dog, doesn't matter what breed it is. It's just common sense.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Aw, that is great that you rescued Maddox! It is really heart breaking to go on Craigslist and see how many pets are being rehomed...I know many of the owners have good reasons (financial situation changes, work, etc.) but, it seems like, some of them just "give up" on being a pet owner after a while....my sister just rescued a dog, he's only 4 and he's already been rehomed three times....really sad....

·
Registered
523 Posts
Aw, that is great that you rescued Maddox! It is really heart breaking to go on Craigslist and see how many pets are being rehomed...I know many of the owners have good reasons (financial situation changes, work, etc.) but, it seems like, some of them just "give up" on being a pet owner after a while....my sister just rescued a dog, he's only 4 and he's already been rehomed three times....really sad....
Oh, that is sad... sounds like he has now found his forever home w/your sister. :smile:

·
Registered
21 Posts
I think people do this for several reasons -
- they're afraid the dog might hurt the child no matter what
- they're not willing to supervise the dog and baby
- they don't want the baby crawling around on the floor with dog hair (and they don't want to sweep the dog hair up)
- they got the dog as "practice" for having a baby and now that they have the real thing, they don't want to bother with a dog

I think the real problem is that people don't think enough about their future plans and how a dog (or any pet) will fit into them BEFORE they get the pet in the first place. I don't have a problem with someone not wanting to deal with a young baby and a dog - but if that is the case, don't get a dog.

It might be lucky for you that she wants the dog out though!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts