Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't been on this forum in about 2-3 years, so I figured a re-introduction is in order! ;)
I lot has changed for me since the last time I've been on. Maddie (my heart dog, cocker spaniel) and I have moved out, and I'm loving where I'm at now :biggrin: I live with two roommates, and they each have a cocker. We also foster through a cocker rescue from time to time.
I've graduated with my Assoc. in Early Childhood Education, still working full time as a preschool teacher, and taking a break from classes right now :eek:
I also have 3 ferrets who I'm crazy about!! Izzy's a DEW - if there's such thing as a heart ferret she's it, lol. She's a lover, playful, entertaining, and she's deaf. Annie's a handful! She's a dark sable, a fiesty little on, the only nipper lol. And Peyton's a champagne color - she's a mellow, cuddly, chunk!

Maddie & the ferrets are on a raw diet - I could not be happier with how they are doing on raw!! :biggrin: <3

I've actually wandered back to the forum because my roommate has asked for my help in switching her dog, Mia, to a raw diet as well. She has done a lot of research, and I am sort of "mentoring" her right now. She has all of the resources, but Mia is being a lot more stubborn about it than Maddie or any of the ferrets were! :p

My other roommate is upset about the news of P&G buying out Natura... Tucker is on Innova EVO and is doing VERY well. She is considering a home-made diet, but she wants to cook it... she HATES raw meat, it grosses her out. She's been like that for as long as I've known her. I've offered my help in finding a new dog food, I'd like him on raw, but I 100% support her decision either way because he's her dog AND I want her to be comfortable with what she is feeding, so if one of us moves out his diet won't be dramatically interupted, if you know what I mean :wink:

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
Welcome and I'm glad that you've found your way back :wink:

It will be nice to have a resident raw feeder that has experience with animals other than dogs and cats!

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
Welcome back to the forum!

've never quite understood the "raw meat grosses me out" theory on why people can't feed raw. Has she considered that fact that it's going to be raw before she cooks it, therefore she's still handling the raw meat MORE than just giving it to the dog? I'm just thinking here... when I make talapia, chicken breast, meatloaf, etc. for dinner, I have to handle it, look at it, smell it raw for a lot longer than just dumping the bag in the grass for the dogs. lol

Anyway, just rambling on now. :rolleyes: Glad to have another raw feeder around, hope you stick around with us!

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Well welcome back! Geez, you must have been, like, one of the original members of this forum!

Richelle

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
:biggrin: thanks!

Welcome back to the forum!
've never quite understood the "raw meat grosses me out" theory on why people can't feed raw. Has she considered that fact that it's going to be raw before she cooks it, therefore she's still handling the raw meat MORE than just giving it to the dog? I'm just thinking here... when I make talapia, chicken breast, meatloaf, etc. for dinner, I have to handle it, look at it, smell it raw for a lot longer than just dumping the bag in the grass for the dogs. lol
I don't get it either... the thing is, she DOESN'T handle raw meat when she's cooking :confused: (and out of the 3 of us she cooks the most, she's a good cook!) She'll use a tool like a spatula, or plop it out of the package straight into the pan. :tongue: holding her breath if she has to. can you picture it? Lol

I think I'm actually being More persuasive by Not pushing her to go "my" way :wink: I hope so, atleast. Yesterday she asked me if I thought he'd have loose stools for a long time if he started on raw. At least she's somewhat thinking about it lol. I mean, you could always use gloves or spatulas to drop it in a dog bowl, too LOL
I'd rather her be committed than just do it because "we" are. That way if I move or something she'll be more likely to stick with it. *crosses fingers*

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
I think I'm actually being More persuasive by Not pushing her to go "my" way :wink: I hope so, atleast. Yesterday she asked me if I thought he'd have loose stools for a long time if he started on raw. At least she's somewhat thinking about it lol. I mean, you could always use gloves or spatulas to drop it in a dog bowl, too LOL
I'd rather her be committed than just do it because "we" are. That way if I move or something she'll be more likely to stick with it. *crosses fingers*
Oh I definately agree, I wouldn't push it either, and it's definately something that the owner needs to be committed to. I was just wondering, that's all. :smile:

·
Registered
219 Posts
Welcome back!
I use plastic grocery bags to reach down into the bag of chicken if I'm in a rush and don't want to take time to wash my hands and arms. The bag covers my arm too so the chicken goop on the bag doesn't get on me.
Maybe you can throw that out there to your roomie :)

·
Registered
10,780 Posts
welcome back...i'm new here and my dogs are new to raw....it took a long time for me to decide to feed my dogs raw....but it took no time to decide to stop feeding kibble...

so i home cooked.....

now? i am very happy with the results of raw, as i'm sure you are....maybe your roomie can get a case of those clear glovey thingies and use that....

because our dogs had such a rough beginning on raw, we prepare their food for two weeks or so, since we're taking excess fat and skin off....which has worked out nicely....and has stopped the squirts (well, unless i overfeed - oops)

so maybe you could help her by helping her prepare...

since all three of you are roomies....you guys could split the costs (join a co op and get great proteins on the cheap)...since you're not squeamish...maybe you could clean the parts....another roomie could write the names of the animals on the bags, maybe the one who cannot stand raw meat...and the other roomie could package..make it an assembly line and every few weeks, it would go very smoothly....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts