Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There's an interesting article in the August issue of the Bark entitled

FrankenBones

The downside of rawhide—can it harm your dog?

By Sheila Pell

You may never give your dog rawhide again!

·
Registered
628 Posts
OMG, I would NEVER feed rawhide. I have done quite a bit of research on it and also seen the bowel obstructions that required surgery first hand and there is absolutely no way. It is the cause of gut obstructions and surgery WAY too often. No rawhide, no pigs ears, nothing that is basically non digestible that can cause obstructions. I use raw bones, Nylabones, rubber toys (that don't break) Hurley bones. I'm not a big fan of bully sticks personally because I hate the smell but I'd rather someone use bully sticks than rawhide, it just makes me CRINGE when I see dogs chewing on that crap.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Excerpt

I tried to find the article online, but had no luck. You'll have to buy the magazine. Here's an excerpt:

"Other poisonous residues that may show up in rawhide include arsenic and formaldehyde. Even dog skin is a possibility. An ongoing investigation of the fur trade by Humane Society International, an arm of the HSUS, resulted in this information listed on their website: "In a particularly grisly twist, the skins of brutally slaughtered dogs in Thailand are mixed with other bits of skin to produce rawhide chew toys for pet dogs. Manufacturers told investigators that these chew toys are regularly exported to and sold in U.S. stores." (hsus.org; search for "skin trade").

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
Ewwww! This is going to break my dogs' hearts. Not that they get that much rawhide anymore, but they sure do love it when they do (maybe twice a month). I do prefer raw bones for them, keeps them occupied longer.

·
Registered
628 Posts
I am going to look into this more. Our 2 jack russell terrier LOVE rawhides, plus its one way to calm them down for about 20 mins.

Thanks for the excerpt!

I would definitely look into something else that they can learn to love, like bully sticks. It isn't worth their life or spending $5K+ on an abdominal surgery to save their lives plus the aftercare, etc all over a 50 cent rawhide. I love cranberries too but I'm allergic to them so I've learned to stop loving them since they can kill me.

It doesn't even need to be that article, if you do a search online you can find quite a bit of stuff on the dangers of rawhide.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Many people also stuff them with stuff and freeze them (Kongs) so they last longer and provide a cool treat in the summer. I've neve done this, but I've heard of others having good results with it.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Many people also stuff them with stuff and freeze them (Kongs) so they last longer and provide a cool treat in the summer. I've neve done this, but I've heard of others having good results with it.
I have. It just requires you to think ahead. I've put treats in, added PB, then put it in the freezer. Bella could spend hours with it like that. She loves it!

·
Registered
628 Posts
I've never done it only because when you freeze them you usually put like yogurt etc generally runnier food substances and that's something I'd rather give outside but it's too hot at the moment for mine to go outside except to potty so maybe in the fall or winter time we'll try freezing with some stuff in them.

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
I just filled mine with PB and treats (so they stick in their better) and gave it to one of my dogs. Pennywise says thank you! I also have this weird football shaped ball that you can fill with water and when the dogs chew on it, water comes out. Gave that one to one one of my other dogs.

L

·
0 Posts
I don't give rawhide, and haven't in a long time. Poseidon's not had a rawhide in 3 years, but my BF used to give them to him all the time. I won't allow them in the house. It's bully sticks or marrow bones for him.

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
I use the bully sticks all the time, all three of my dogs love them and they last a long time. Fresh meaty bones are great too. I also use kongs filled with tasty treats :) There are a lot of options out there to keep a dog occupied during the day or movie or dinner...I can't seem to get my mom off the rawhide thing either, but she doesn't take the best care of her animals :(

1 - 15 of 15 Posts