Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have been giving big rawhide to my dog In the last few days and she has been chewing on and off for 3 days. As conseguence I noticed that her stool gradualy decreased in hardness. So I took the rawhide away yesterday morning from her and still today she had a watery diarrhea, despite last night chicken leg+back dinner. Is that possible that the rawhide doesn't do well along raw diet?

Regards,

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
Rawhides in general are really bad for dogs, they should be taken off the market, IMO. Yes, they can cause diarrhea but in some cases can cause obstructions if a large piece is swallowed a then swells in the stomach.

Better to find rolled pighide/skin or bully sticks or RMBs. Rawhide is more of a manmade product than a natural one and that is why it is bad.

Reactions: jdatwood

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
Is it possible she got a bigger chunk off of the rawhide and swallowed it? If so I would keep a very close eye on her since rawhide is pretty undigestable like Leo said. She may be getting loose stool from an obstruction or from just chewing on it or from something completely unrelated. Either way keep feeding her bone heavy meals until you see normal stool but if you don't notice improvement within a few days I would have a vet palpate her tummy to make sure she doesn't have a blockage.

If you want a safe recreational chew for your dog, give a raw beef rib or two once a week. Take up the old bone and give a fresh one whenever you notice your dog losing interest in the old one...ours will chew on them for about a week.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Rawhides in general are really bad for dogs, they should be taken off the market, IMO. Yes, they can cause diarrhea but in some cases can cause obstructions if a large piece is swallowed a then swells in the stomach.

Better to find rolled pighide/skin or bully sticks or RMBs. Rawhide is more of a manmade product than a natural one and that is why it is bad.
Thanks fornthenreply.
I admit I suspected that rawhide give her runs. Never again...
I am just having trouble to find rmb that last. I also refrain myself from buying big bones that can cause cracks to her teeth. So, I am still looking for the ideal recreational bone.
Buly stick, yes she likes them but at a $3 for a 6" and it goes in 10 minutes.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is it possible she got a bigger chunk off of the rawhide and swallowed it? If so I would keep a very close eye on her since rawhide is pretty undigestable like Leo said. She may be getting loose stool from an obstruction or from just chewing on it or from something completely unrelated. Either way keep feeding her bone heavy meals until you see normal stool but if you don't notice improvement within a few days I would have a vet palpate her tummy to make sure she doesn't have a blockage.

If you want a safe recreational chew for your dog, give a raw beef rib or two once a week. Take up the old bone and give a fresh one whenever you notice your dog losing interest in the old one...ours will chew on them for about a week.
maybe I shouldn't fees her today? It is possible that she ingested a chunk. I'll keep a eye on her.

Regarding the beef ribs... I don't know why I always thought that they should be taken away from them soon as the meat is gone, which is what i do.
What a shame. That could solve her cravingS if I can keep a couple of those around for longer. Good suggestion. Thanks.

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
I would hold off on feeding her the rest of the day. Whenever dogs have diarrhea for whatever reason it's a good idea to fast them so they have a chance to settle their system.

Rib bones are a great recreational chew bone because they are hardy enough to last a while but not so dense that they crack teeth.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I would hold off on feeding her the rest of the day. Whenever dogs have diarrhea for whatever reason it's a good idea to fast them so they have a chance to settle their system.

Rib bones are a great recreational chew bone because they are hardy enough to last a while but not so dense that they crack teeth.
She had another run (twice actually) since imposter last, and she didn't eat anything yet. Something white came out ... Youck... I hope it's the last for the day.
Last time she ate was yesterday evening and I am tempted to feed her

·
Registered
939 Posts
She had another run (twice actually) since imposter last, and she didn't eat anything yet. Something white came out ... Youck... I hope it's the last for the day.
Last time she ate was yesterday evening and I am tempted to feed her
I would hold off until tomorrow morning if she's expelling white stuff. Let the body do it's thing and flush out. :smile:

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
I would suspect that the white you saw was a piece of the rawhide that she swallowewd, keep a eye on her and offer her food in the a.m., usually if they are in distress they won't eat.

My dogs are enjoying their antlers to chew on, so there is another option.

Reactions: Jodysmom

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I would suspect that the white you saw was a piece of the rawhide that she swallowewd, keep a eye on her and offer her food in the a.m., usually if they are in distress they won't eat.

My dogs are enjoying their antlers to chew on, so there is another option.
Thanks for pointing the antlers as alternative. I never thought about them.
Aren't they too hard? Any side effect. That I should be aware of if they eat too much of that?

·
Registered
939 Posts
Thanks for pointing the antlers as alternative. I never thought about them.
Aren't they too hard? Any side effect. That I should be aware of if they eat too much of that?
Here's a thread that's being going on for a while...a lot of things have been discussed about them:

http://dogfoodchat.com/forum/raw-feeding/1796-antlers-treats.html

I'm sure that it's not good for them if they do eat too much, but from the look of it I don't think that's possible. :biggrin:

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
QUOTE=Maab;26590]Thanks for pointing the antlers as alternative. I never thought about them.
Here's a thread that's being going on for a while...a lot of things have been discussed about them:

http://dogfoodchat.com/forum/raw-feeding/1796-antlers-treats.html

I'm sure that it's not good for them if they do eat too much, but from the look of it I don't think that's possible. :biggrin:[/QUOTE]

thanks for the link.
I went ahead and bought one of those online, it seems
expensive at $3piece but it maybe worth it if it last.
We'll see

1 - 14 of 14 Posts