Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I have learned that my dogs love raw broccoli (stems, not the crowns), asparagus and carrots. Is there anything wrong with feeding them raw veggies? Are there any veggies that are a no-no or dangerous to dogs?

10yr old Pitty and 7 month old Boxer/husky mix. They are currently being fed Canidae ALS Grain Free.

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
So, I have learned that my dogs love raw broccoli (stems, not the crowns), asparagus and carrots. Is there anything wrong with feeding them raw veggies?
Except for the fact that they have no dietary need for veggies nor are they equipped to digest them nor extract nutrients from them, there is no reason not to feed them except they are taking up stomach space better filled by meat, bones, and organs. As occasional treats, there is not a problem.

Are there any veggies that are a no-no or dangerous to dogs?
Grapes/rasins are said to be poison to dogs in great quanities.

Some people say garlic is poison, others give it to their dogs regularly.

Some say onions are but I haven't seen anything authoratative to back this up.

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
I've also heard that too many cruciferous veggies cause gas so watch out for that.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I use carrots when training.....Cali goes nuts for them. She also loves green beans, can't get enough of them. They do tend to come out exactly as they came in though.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I feed mine raw carrots, they like to munch on them...
I'd just be careful with the amount of broccoli you feed. It does contain isothiocynate which can cause an upset stomach but you'd have to be feeding them a good amount of it so a small amount should be fine.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Onions are toxic to dogs, a small amount probably won't hurt but a large amount or regular small amounts will.

I give a small amount of garlic a couple of times a week.

I don't regularly give them any proper vegetables, although they get carrots as a treat, as stated above they have no dietry need for them. :smile:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts