Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
While the dog's raw diet is evolving well, last night the chef of the restaurant gave me some parts of a fresh salmon, including some meat, skin and fins that where cut off from the fish. These parts are usually thrown away and he said he can give them to me regularly basis if I want to for the dog.
Are these parts safe? People warn about parasites and I am sort of thinking to cook them, at least for now.
What do you think?
RFD, do you feed raw fish at all to your dog and what type?
Thanks

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
You have to be careful of wild caught salmon from the pacific northwest. These can carry a parasite that is fatal to dogs. Freeze the fish for a few weeks and it will kill the parasites. The butcher at the grocery store I shopped at several years ago used to give me salmon heads that he would normally throw away. My dogs didn't particularly like them. They were mostly bone.

I feed my dogs all kinds of fish when I get them off freecycle. Usually its, catfish, trout, talapia, or bass. I feed them canned salmon regularly.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You have to be careful of wild caught salmon from the pacific northwest. These can carry a parasite that is fatal to dogs. Freeze the fish for a few weeks and it will kill the parasites. The butcher at the grocery store I shopped at several years ago used to give me salmon heads that he would normally throw away. My dogs didn't particularly like them. They were mostly bone.

I feed my dogs all kinds of fish when I get them off freecycle. Usually its, catfish, trout, talapia, or bass. I feed them canned salmon regularly.
Ok. I'll skip the raw salmon.
Now the chef told me that in a couple of occasions while cutting a previousily frozen tilapia in pieces he saw worm alive in the fish.

Can I ask you what kind of canned salmon you feed?

Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
Now the chef told me that in a couple of occasions while cutting a previousily frozen tilapia in pieces he saw worm alive in the fish.
I don't think I buy that story. Get a worm and freeze it for 2 or 3 weeks, thaw it out, and see if it's still alive. I would be very surprised if you could revive it.

Can I ask you what kind of canned salmon you feed?
You can ask but I can't tell you. :smile: My wife buys the salmon, usually at Walmart and I don't pay any attention to the brand name. I can tell you it's normal canned salmon off the grocery store shelf. Nothing special about it.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Alright, I was thinking to dog food companies. Some of them make canned salmon. Where I live there is no walmart. A small tiny can of mackarels cost me 3.75!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't think I buy that story. Get a worm and freeze it for 2 or 3 weeks, thaw it out, and see if it's still alive. I would be very surprised if you could revive it.

You can ask but I can't tell you. :smile: My wife buys the salmon, usually at Walmart and I don't pay any attention to the brand name. I can tell you it's normal canned salmon off the grocery store shelf. Nothing special about it.
I thought the chef exaggerated with that statement. It's hard to believe it.

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
Alright, I was thinking to dog food companies. Some of them make canned salmon. Where I live there is no walmart. A small tiny can of mackarels cost me 3.75!
I THINK my wife buys 14 or 15 oz cans of salmon for ABOUT $1.25. Mackerel is cheaper.

·
Registered
517 Posts
I want to give my guy some sardines, but all the cans of sardines always have chili, and oil in them. I can't seem to find any without any seasonings. What do you guys look for in a canned fish? It's obviously OK if it's just like oil in there, do you guys like soak the sardines in water, or wash them? And which is better nutritionally, sardines or salmon?

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
I don't know about Tilapia, but it's pretty common for white fish to have worms. When I used to work at a restuarant (many moons ago) we'd cut our own cod for fish/chips and the cook would often have to slice out the worms. By the way. Primal makes a pretty good product that my dogs really like, it's the sardine grind. Nothing but sardines all ground up whole, comes in 2 and 5 # chubs.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts