Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
seriously thinking about going raw after researching dry food for the last week...i have the ability to kill a couple of deer and as many hogs as i want a year to cut up and feed to my dogs...plus chicken, organs, etc...my concern is, my heeler inhales his food right now...i would be afraid he would swallow alot of the bones whole and possibly get some of them lodged...will the bones be broken down in the stomach?...

he has gotten into some cooked bones before and had some problems...which i know cooked are more brittle, etc...but cost my 200 bucks in vet bills...

just a little nervous and timid to switch over i guess...any advice appreciated...thanks a ton

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
my concern is, my heeler inhales his food right now...i would be afraid he would swallow alot of the bones whole and possibly get some of them lodged...will the bones be broken down in the stomach?...
Don't equate dog chewing to human chewing. They are two different processes by two different animals. Humans chew their food into a mush before swallowing. Human saliva contains some digestive juices and digestion begins in the mouth during chewing.

Dogs only use their teath for ripping and tearing meat and crunching bones. They have no diestive juices in their saliva. They mearly crunch, rip and tear their food until it is small enough to fit down their throats. They can fit some amazingly large pieces down their throat. If something is too large to fit down the throat all the way, they have a mechanism for "reverse swallowing" bringing it back up to chew some more.

he has gotten into some cooked bones before and had some problems...which i know cooked are more brittle, etc...but cost my 200 bucks in vet bills...
Cooked bones can do that sometimes.

just a little nervous and timid to switch over i guess...any advice appreciated...thanks a ton
Don't be so nervous. Dogs have been eating raw bones for millions of years. Their bodies are well equiped for it and they know how to do it.

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
They can fit some amazingly large pieces down their throat. If something is too large to fit down the throat all the way, they have a mechanism for "reverse swallowing" bringing it back up to chew some more.
Haha yeah my dog does that from time to time when she gets over exuberant in her eating. I love how it's nature's way of saying "Slow down! Sometimes you have to chew before you swallow!"

·
Registered
441 Posts
Something that you should do is, since you know that your dog is an excited eater. Start with large pieces first. That way chewing HAS to happen. With my Owen, I started him on the chicken leg quarters and that was fine. But, with Titus (when he gets any meat) he either has to have the checken backs or boneless as to not get in to much of a hurry. Titus eats kibble and he used to eat his kibble in about 3 bites. He is a 5 month old Neo Mastiff mix and so he gets a big bowl of food. The way that I make him slow down is, I make him sit, I put the bowl on the ground, then I make him stay there untill he doesn't seem to care as much about the food as what is going on around him. BUT, he HAS to relax first. He CANNOT run up to the bowl or it gets taken up and it starts over again.
I have been doing that for the last two weeks and now when it is feeding time, we go out, get the food, he sits and waits for the food and watches me until I say the words 'you can have it'. Then he walks up to his bowl calmly and eats more slowly then he has since he was still ankle height. :)
Those are a couple of suggestions that you could try. Hope all works out for you. Raw is the best thing that I have done with my dogs. Good luck.

·
Registered
357 Posts
My GSD was fine when we switched to Raw, but my JRT would try to eat as fast as she could, so she could maybe steal Rex's food. I had to start hand feeding her. Holding that slimey chicken leg quarter while I slowed her chewing down. I now can put her in her crate with her food, and I leave her in it for at least 15 minutes. Sometimes she is not completely done, she has slowed down terrificly.

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
How's Baby doing with the raw thing now? I know she was having some allergy issues for a while.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Hi, Baby is still having issues, but they are environmental according to tests. They don't seem so bad now, maybe because it is zero outside? Or maybe because she is on raw.
We are just doing the raw thing, and I have started steam cleaning with a bit of vinegar in the water, instead of using chemical cleaners, so who knows what is working best?:rolleyes:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts