Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a pit bull terrier who is almost 4 months. I feed him blue wilderness kibble but wanted to feed him raw food cause I've heard so much good things. However, i cant afford a full on raw food diet and was wondering if it would still be beneficial if i fed him a raw meal twice a week.

·
Registered
778 Posts
raw food doesn't have to cost more than good kibble.
look at haretoday . everything is in the rolls that they need, including the right percentages. tripe, head, liver, and the protein you want. don't know where you live but i am in ny and it comes from pa , and is still frozen. shipping is expensive so i order about $300 worth at one time, pack the second freezer and use . if i supplement i order ground sterilized eggshells for the calcium. if you want the link, let me know and i will send that along too.

i have two labs, one with a food issue, so i change to novel proteins every 3 weeks, pred ever 5 days and it works for her. my old guy is on either fromm or farmina, but eli, my frenchie does the raw. i may even do them all on raw but i do think i will need a big stand up freezer for 3 dogs. now i hog my subzero and have a refrigerator downstairs and hog that freezer all for the raw.

·
Premium Member
4,271 Posts
To get the full benefits of raw, it really needs to be fed full time. That way you don't worry about digestive upsets, since the the two digest at different rates. It doesn't necessarlily cost more than the wilderness you are feeding. In fact, once transitioned you can get lots for free even. About 80% of mine is free, you just have to look into your resources and see what is available in your area. There are several websites, like bett said that you could order in bulk, and it's cheaper that way also. Look at grocery stores that have sales on meat that is at the "sell by" date. That sort of thing, you just have to investigate some.

I also place an ad in a free classified book we have local here, for free older meat other people have. That has resulted in several hundred pounds of meat for free.

Reactions: Liz and amanda

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm in Norwalk in the LA county here in California. I'd love if you could share some websites that you recommend. Thank you so much! From Bruce and me. Bruce2.jpg

·
Registered
874 Posts
I can feed 3 Pits raw for less a month than my friend spends for 1 Lab on premium kibble.

I am sure there are butcher shops, Asian markets, super markets (last option) or a whole sale market that sell meat for restaurants.

·
Premium Member
4,271 Posts
Here are a couple sites Hare Today, Gone Tommorow, http://mypetcarnivore.com I think those are the right links for those.

This is another one that is considerably cheaper, because it's not labled for human consumption. It's denatured meats that come from down cows, etc.. It's some that I wouldn't mind feeding some of because of finanacial reasons, but not all the time. Either way, it may be an affordable option for you when you get to the red meat part of your transition Big Dan's Trucking, Inc | Altura, MN 55910

1 - 8 of 8 Posts