Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I "tested" my Jack Russell on raw chicken on Sunday. It was a piece out of the "giblet" bag stuck down in a Cornish game hen. I'm not sure if it was a heart or liver or gizzard. When I gave it to him, he carried it off to another room, which I predicted he would do. I just assumed he ate it, but when I went into the room later, I found a blob of chicken guts on the floor. It looked like he had spit it out but not eaten it because it wasn't digested. He loves cooked chicken, though, so now I have a sinking feeling that it's going to be hard to get him to eat raw.

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
Uh-oh. Goofed already.
Hehe, don't feel bad. You aren't the first and won't be the last. You haven't done anything that will damage the dog. Just back up and start over again. I started over what I discovered what I was doing wrong in the beginning.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for making me feel better.:smile:

Something occurred to me as I was making the goof and giving my dog the raw chicken guts: Raw chicken doesn't smell good but cooked chicken does and my dogs are practically glued to me when I'm cleaning a cooked chicken carcase or putting away chicken leftovers so they obviously like the smell of it. Why would they be enticed to eat raw chicken? :confused:

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
That's why sometimes you have to sear the chicken for a second so it brings out the aromas and entices the dogs to eat it. Once they realize it's just as tasty as cooked chicken, you should have no problem getting them to eat it.

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
I thought I read something somewhere that said not to sear the chicken.:confused:
You probably saw where I said it. :smile: I don't advocate searing chicken. I always picture people searing for 15 or 20 minutes and that will cause problems. Searing in the raw feeding world is 2 or 3 seconds on a side.

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
Yes, no more than 2 to 3 secs on one side, turn it over and 2 to 3 secs on the other side. Yes, this is a temporary thing only if you have trouble getting a dog to eat raw. You shouldn't have to do it more than 2 or 3 times.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts