Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

My name is Paula. I am new to the forum. I will get my user info set up soon. I am in the process of switching my 60lb pit mix to a raw diet. I have gone to Bil-Jac frozen at the moment until I have thoroughly researched the ins and outs of feeding raw. I want to be sure I am feeding a complete meal.

Earl is a rescue pup that I started with as a foster, but then decided I needed to adopt. :biggrin: He came with a plethora of issues...worms, allergies, poor skin, etc. He has made lots of progress in the months that I have had him, but I am determined to go all the way to raw with him.

The thing that is worrying me the most is the idea of giving the bone-in chicken parts to Earl. He is quite the wolfer...I have been stuffing a Kong to feed him so that he slows down. I am worried he will gulp the whole thing down and get a blockage. Does anyone have any advice about this?

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
I want to be sure I am feeding a complete meal.
Feed him meat, bones, and organs from a variety of animals. Mostly meat, some bone and some organs. There ... thats the complete diet. For more information about switching, check out my web page linked in my sig.

He has made lots of progress in the months that I have had him, but I am determined to go all the way to raw with him.
Great, you are headed in the right direction.

The thing that is worrying me the most is the idea of giving the bone-in chicken parts to Earl. He is quite the wolfer...I have been stuffing a Kong to feed him so that he slows down. I am worried he will gulp the whole thing down and get a blockage. Does anyone have any advice about this?
Many (most) people new to raw feeding worry about this. There is no need to slow him down. If you are concerned, feed him parts that are too large to swallow whole. I have Great Danes and they often swallow chicken leg quarters whole but it's not a big deal to them. They get quarters about 3 or 4 times a week. They will "chomp" it 3 or 4 or 5 times and swallow it down. It takes the about 10 to 20 seconds to eat a chicken quarter.

Also, be aware that dogs don't eat like humans and that surprises a lot of people. Humans chew their food into a mush before they swallow. Humans have digestive juices in their salava and digestion begins in the mouth. Dogs, on the other hand, only crunch their food in their mouths until it is small enough to fit down their throat. Some amazing large pieces can fit down their throat. Digestion in dogs begins in the stomach. There are no digestive juices in a dog's salava.

If a dog accidentally swallows something that won't fit down their throat, they will bring it back into their mouth, chew some more and swallow it again. Don't try to apply human manners to a dog eating like a dog. :smile:

·
Registered
154 Posts
If Earl has skin problems, the best thing you can do is feed him RAW IMO.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
If bone is OK for dogs, what about fish scales?

I think I'll switch my dog slowly to raw, and I want to start with fish because he loves it!! I'm just concerned about the scales. They are really pointy:(:(

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
Fish scales are ok to feed. I wouldn't suggest beginning a raw diet with fish. It's possible fish would cause digestive problems because there is not a lot of bone in fish. I always like for newbies to begin with real boney meals such as chicken backs to help with potential digestive problems. However, your dog may experience no problems at all beginning with fish. :smile:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all of the input. I have had some luck finding hormone-free/ antobiotic-free meat sources from some small local farmers, so I am hoping to start Earl this weekend. I am reading Ian Billinghurst's "Give Your Dog a Bone" and The Holistic Guide for a Healthy Dog by Wendy Volhard & Kerry Brown, DVM. Does anyone have any other suggested reading materials?

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
Thanks for all of the input. I have had some luck finding hormone-free/ antobiotic-free meat sources from some small local farmers, so I am hoping to start Earl this weekend. I am reading Ian Billinghurst's "Give Your Dog a Bone" and The Holistic Guide for a Healthy Dog by Wendy Volhard & Kerry Brown, DVM. Does anyone have any other suggested reading materials?

I would read "Raw Meaty Bones" and "Works Wonders" by Tom Lonsdale

Here's a link to his website:

Raw Meaty Bones

L

·
0 Posts
...Earl is a rescue pup that I started with as a foster, but then decided I needed to adopt. :biggrin:
Paula, I just wanted to say, congrats on being a foster flunkie! Makes two of us. I adopted one of my fosters, too.

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
I would read "Raw Meaty Bones" and "Works Wonders" by Tom Lonsdale

Here's a link to his website:

Raw Meaty Bones
I agree with Natalie. I suggest reading Works Wonders first because it's more of a "how to" book. Raw Meaty Bones is more of a "why to feed raw" book.

I wouldn't bother with Ian's or Wendy's books. I have read both and they both treat dogs like omnivores and we all know they are carnivores. Ian is in the business of selling premade raw patties that have lots of veggies and stuff in them so he has to promote the omnivore diet thing. Both try to reverse engineer kibble and create a raw kibble for your dogs to eat.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts