Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody I feed a raw food diet consisting of beef, chicken, tripe sometimes chicken liver, chicken wings about 500 grams a day plus a seperate bowl of vegetables peas, carrots, broad beans, runner beans and corn on the cob. Does this sound ok? Sam is 25 kilos in weight he is two years old and have been feeding him on this diet for the past 12 months. He looks good on it and by the way the site is very informative, thank you. Frank:smile::smile:

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
I would personally cut out the corn, peas, beans, etc considering your dog cannot use them really. Dogs cannot breakdown cellulose (the building block of plant cell walls) and therefore cannot get to the nutrients inside...they are just not bioavailable to your dog so why feed them? But I'm sure that they are not doing any harm, so if that is the case, just keep up with what you are doing!

I do want to make sure that you are feeding bone as well correct? Raw meaty bones?

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
Hi everybody I feed a raw food diet consisting of beef, chicken, tripe sometimes chicken liver, chicken wings about 500 grams a day plus a seperate bowl of vegetables peas, carrots, broad beans, runner beans and corn on the cob. Does this sound ok? Sam is 25 kilos in weight he is two years old and have been feeding him on this diet for the past 12 months. He looks good on it and by the way the site is very informative, thank you. Frank:smile::smile:
It sounds to me that you're at a decent starting point, but you will want to make some adjustments for the long run.

Being that dogs are carnivores, I would cut out the veggie mix that you're adding in. They aren't equipped to actually get any nutrients from them so i ths case they'd be acting as more of a "filler' type food than anything. They aren't doing any good, but sounds like for the time being, they aren't doing any harm. If you insist on continuing to feed an omnivore diet, and problems do arise, these veggies would be the first thing I'd cu from the diet.

The meat is great. I think the more variety you can add here the better. Beef and chicken are a good starting point. Pork, turkey, and fish are also great affordable protien sources to toss in as well.

Liver is essential, so it's great that you're feeding that on occasion. Heart (not considered organ) is also wonderful to add to the mix.

In a home prepared diet- bones are also important. Are the cuts of chicken and beef bone inclusive?

On that note, welcome to the forum, so good to have you here, and i hope you stick around~

1 - 4 of 4 Posts