Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there!

I'm new to the forum. :) We are considering putting our Scottish Terrier, Sophie, on a raw diet. I'm really nervous about feeding incorrectly because I know that an improper raw diet can be even worse than kibble. Could someone show me a week sample of a feeding schedule for a 25 lb dog? Like what each meal consists of, and the weight of each portion.

Thanks so much!

·
Premium Member
4,271 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
My dog is 26lbs. He needs roughly 3% of his body weight in food a day to stay at a good weight. That's 0.75lbs or 12 ozs. He gets two meals a day, roughly divided into 6 ozs each. We typically do a bone in meal in the morning with a little bit of organ about 1-1.2 oz, or every other day at 2-2.4 oz. His evening meal is typically all meat, with a whole fish once a week and an egg once or twice a week.

This diet is for a dog that is fully transitioned to raw. When you're starting out you want to go slow, feed a smaller amount and introduce one protein at a time starting with chicken. Dedicated to proper carnivore nutrition - Prey Model Raw Feeding for Dogs & Cats has a great getting started guide.

For bone in meals we rotate between various chicken cuts - backs, drumsticks, quarters, necks - various turkey cuts - legs, wings, backs, necks - and pork ribs.
For organs we rotate between beef and pork liver or kidney, as well as providing chicken and fish heads which includes the brain and eyes for a little variety.
For boneless meat we feed any cheap cut of pork or beef, particularly a decent amount of heart as it is cheapest for us. We will on occasion feed ground beef if it is on sale but whole cuts are more optimal for nutrition and dental hygiene. We also get lamb and buffalo tripe from a specialty raw feeding store and feed that as a meat meal.
For fish we rotate between whole frozen mackerel and sardines.
For eggs we feed organic free range eggs.
On occasion when we can get a good deal we will rotate in goat, quail and duck but these are harder to find here. There are a lot of other protein sources you could feed as well, especially game meats.

So a typical day might look like:
AM meal - turkey neck (roughly 5 ozs) with a small piece of beef liver (roughly 1 oz)
PM meal - Beef heart (6 ozs)

The important thing to remember is that every dog is different and will need different amount of food based on their metabolism, activity level and age. Some dogs do better with organ meals once a week while others do better with having a small amount each day. Some dogs can't handle some proteins, particularly pork seems to be an issue for some, so be aware as you add in each new protein source of how your dog is digesting it.

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
My sheltie is 23 pounds and she gets between 6-8 ounces per day.

Mon - sheep lung, chicken back
Tues - young turkey neck
Wed - beef on bone with liver
Thur - half a pork neck and beef heart
Fri - Beef heart
Sat - chicken quarter and kidney
Sun - turkey neck and lamb lung

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you :) Another random question. Would whole ground chicken (meat, organs, bones) be a enough for a complete diet? I might be able to get some of that to start off, just wondering if anything else should be supplemented to it (besides bones for teeth).

·
Premium Member
4,271 Posts
That wouldn't be complete for long term. And, you really want the benefit of whole meat, bones and organs. Complete comes from a variety of different proteins over time. Also, organs aren't introduced for at least three months. Raw meat bones and organs over time supply all needed nutrients so no supplements are needed, other than fish oil for omegas. And if you are able to feed all grass fed red meats and oily types of fish you don't even need to supplement that then. You would then be getting all the needed omegas.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Okay thanks for the advice :) May I ask why organs aren't introduced for 3 months? I didn't know about that.

·
Premium Member
4,271 Posts
Because they are incredibly rich, and too much too soon will be major digestive upset, consisting of cannon butt. Lots of dark, tary runny stool. You will want to intro that in a very tiny amount in the beginning. But you have a ways to go before that.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts