Dog Food Chat banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

A lot of raw feeders have told me only feed rabbit once a week as there is hardly any fat.

But, I found a research that was done in 1934? A man bred and raised 900 cats on just raw rabbit. All the cats and their litters were very healthy. However, a lot died from lack of taurine which dogs produce on their own.

So, can I feed my dogs on rabbit 4 or 5 times week? with organs then for the other 2 or 3 days feed fatty foods such as pork belly?

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
Hello,

A lot of raw feeders have told me only feed rabbit once a week as there is hardly any fat.
I can't see that there is not enough fat in rabbits but I don't really know for sure.

But, I found a research that was done in 1934? A man bred and raised 900 cats on just raw rabbit. All the cats and their litters were very healthy. However, a lot died from lack of taurine which dogs produce on their own.
Taurine can be lost in GROUND rabbit. As long as you are feeding whole unground rabbits, taurine levels should be good even for cats.

So, can I feed my dogs on rabbit 4 or 5 times week?
Yes

with organs then for the other 2 or 3 days feed fatty foods such as pork belly?
yes

·
Registered
659 Posts
Here is part of a more recent study of cats fed rabbit.
Cat Fanciers' Association: Role of Diet

Dogs are supposed to form their own taurine from a couple of other amino acids. If you are feeding whole rabbit muscle with no grinding I don't think much taurine will be destroyed anyway. Here is a link with some numbers, whether they are right or not I am not sure. Sort of scary how low in taurine rabbits are though.
Winn Foundation Study: Taurine Deficiency in Cats Fed Rabbit Diet
"Whole rabbit carcass ....... 373 (+/- 399) mg taurine per kilogram wet weight
Chicken dark meat.......... 1690 (+/- 370) mg taurine per kilogram wet weight
Turkey dark meat .......... 3960 (+/- 690) mg taurine per kilogram wet weight
clams fresh ................. 2400mg taurine per kilogram wet weight"

If you can get whole rabbits, blood, guts, head and all I would definitely give this diet a thumbs up!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts