Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so my avatar is a rotti!!

We went to visit the breeders of Becka at the weekend and they recently also bred their pom's (yes I thought it was a strange mix in the house). They had one pup left which they were keeping and he was absolutely adorable. So we got talking about the prospect of getting a little pom or two for ourselves.

Now the question is how do you raw feed a dog which weighs 200 g at 7 weeks old?:confused:

I take it, it must be possible but as these dogs have never been wild it does make me wonder.

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
I know a lot of people with very small breeds like that will buy regular RMBs and grind them up with a meat grinder. Small whole fresh fish can also be good since the bones are soft and easy to chew. Even though they are small, they still have the same nutrtional needs as larger dogs. They have the same digestive system and the same dentition, just a lot smaller. I had two raw fed mini dachshunds to feed once and it's definitely more work than it is to feed larger dogs.

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
But why 7 weeks old, the puppies should at least stay with the mother until 8-81/2 weeks in my book!

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There is a school of thought which people are quite fond of around here that you should take the pup at 7 weeks.

They state the reasons (this is not my opinion but theirs) being that fear does not develop until the 8th week. This means if you can re-home the pup and introduce it to loads of different surroundings at that point you will have an easier transition. and they will have learnt all the bite inhibition that they are going to.

Obviously the breeder could do this I am sure!!

I got my pup at 7 1/2 weeks, she is my first pup so I have nothing to compare it to. So I have my fingers crossed that I did not take her to early:eek:. (from 12 pups in the litter I was 8th to collect).

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
They state the reasons (this is not my opinion but theirs) being that fear does not develop until the 8th week.
I think what you are talking about is the socialization window which closes at 16 weeks. In the wild, wolf cubs accept pretty much everything until they are 16 weeks old. They are exposed to the pack and the safe stuff before that age. Anything new they encounter after 16 weeks is probably going to be dangerous.

I got my pup at 7 1/2 weeks, she is my first pup so I have nothing to compare it to. So I have my fingers crossed that I did not take her to early:eek:. (from 12 pups in the litter I was 8th to collect).
Don't worry, its not gonna be fatal to her. Getting her at 7 1/2 weeks is not gonna make that much difference. I got my first pup at 6 weeks and she ended up being the best dog I ever owned and the one who has always been my favorite.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
You could do grinds, cornish hens work great for small dogs. I get them and cut them up into 1oz pieces for my chihuahua. My chihuahua Zoey is 4# and eats the bones in cornish hens just fine. I use that for her boney meals. Some cuts I have to cut into smaller chunks, like tonight she 'buried' her dinner until I cut it up into easier manageable chunks for her then she ate it. Georgie my pomeranian who is 12# can handle chicken thighs & legs with no problems (although he prefers thigh/breast bones over legs).

I have found that smaller dogs do not need bone with every meal. Zoey only gets bone meals every 3-4 meals, Georgie on average every 2-3 meals. You will know what he needs by his poop, Zoey got constipated so we cut back on how frequently we were feeding bone. I have a blog with pictures of them eating, if that will help you:
My Little Carnivores

·
Registered
995 Posts
I have found that smaller dogs do not need bone with every meal. Zoey only gets bone meals every 3-4 meals, Georgie on average every 2-3 meals. You will know what he needs by his poop, Zoey got constipated so we cut back on how frequently we were feeding bone. I have a blog with pictures of them eating, if that will help you:
My Little Carnivores
Oh that's comforting...because I would feed my dog a bone-in meal every 3 meals or so and he's still slightly constipated. Thought I was doing something wrong :biggrin: Thank you for the link, it is more difficult to find info on small/smaller dogs so it is very helpful!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts