Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have two mutts (a cocker/poodle mix and a yellow lab mix). Their names are Max and Jasper. I've been feeding them raw meat for several weeks now. I use to feed them a hunk of raw meat at night, with an egg, veggies, and fruits on the side. I've read that fruits and vegetables aren't good for dogs and they can't digest them. So, I've stuck with giving a few raw eggs throughout the day and raw meat in the evening. Ever since I stopped adding fruits and veggies to their diet they have been vomiting in the morning. This has been going on for three days, ever since I stopped giving the fruits and veggies. Now, I know my wife will get on my case about feeding them raw and that it is causing their vomiting. I don't know what it is. Could somebody please help me? I know she will not let me raw feed them if this continues (yes, wife's in charge, surprise surprise lol). Need answers soon!

·
Registered
474 Posts
I would only give them an egg once or twice a week. The amount of raw you feed is based on the weight of the dog - 2-3% of its ideal weight is all it takes. I'm not sure what a "hunk" of meat weighs. I would start over using chicken backs for a week or so.

You need to weigh your dogs and base their portion on their ideal weight. And feed twice a day.

·
Registered
441 Posts
I have to agree with Doc, Start over and be sure to read the links in RFDs signature. Go onto another thread and look for a postin from RewFedDogs and at then end of his post, there is a signature section with a couple of links. Please keep us informed on what happens and the good changes in your dogs! :)

·
Registered
474 Posts
I started raw last week with my 3 German shepherds. There's nothing like the sound of a chicken back being crunched! I'll be moving to leg quarters for the evening meals soon.

I can get them chicken parts cheeeeeaaaaapppppppppppppp. hehe

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I fed them two beef ribs, half a tomato, a big piece of broccoli, and an egg last night and there hasn't been any vomiting this morning. They are completely back to normal. I'm going back to feeding a raw omnivorous diet, as they do much better on it. Feeding all meat obviously doesn't agree with them.

·
Registered
333 Posts
how much meat are you feeding them? maybe you should try different meat? I'm not a raw feeder but I'm definitely not against it and ive been keeping up with the information here andit doesnt make sense to me that adding vegetables keeps them from vomiting.

·
Registered
441 Posts
how much meat are you feeding them? maybe you should try different meat? I'm not a raw feeder but I'm definitely not against it and ive been keeping up with the information here andit doesnt make sense to me that adding vegetables keeps them from vomiting.
The veggies don't keep them from vomiting, he just hasn't taken the advice of those of us that are feeding raw. He won't start from the beginning like we suggested. He knows that he can always go back to adding useless additions to his dogs food, rather then start over and feed a chicken leg quarter or a chicken back to his dogs! It's not as hard as everyone makes it out to be. If you find a food that your dog cannot eat, don't feed it. Owen can't eat pork and aparently Izzy can't eat chicken. Other then that, they are doing great on their raw meat diet! I think that it works out anyway because I still buy chicken and pork and just watch who gets which meat!
If Rodney would take all of that food away and only feed a chicken piece, he would find that everything would stay the way it is supposed to. He went too quickly into all of the other meats, that their systems didn't keep up.

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
Rodney, Rodney, Rodney ... why on earth would you feed omnivore food to a carnivore? You obviously didn't go read my web page as I asked you to. Your problem is that you were feeding them meat and too many eggs. You were probably feeding too much meat also. You MUST feed bones along with meat. Dogs have to have bones in their diet. In the beginning weeks, they must have A LOT of bones. Not so many after they get adjusted.

All the veggies you are feeding is doing is keeping the meat volume lower. Dogs cannot possibly derive any nutrition from plant material. As you are feeding it, it is just filler with no nutritional value. Read my web page and begin all over again. If you have a big stash of meat already bought for them, put it in the freezer for a month or so until you properly introduce them to the prey model raw diet. Your vomiting promlems will not happen if you proceed slowly.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Paw sez sum folk got two ears but can't hear a dad burn thing. Maybe Rodnee can't raid either. I dunno, but sum of usins done been thru da raw stuff and knows wot we iza talkin bout. All dis junk bout insufficent meat dun gont to his haid. Noe hesa pumpin dem poor dawgs full of maters and broklee, I wood puke too ifn I had to ate dat stuff. Thro dem dawgs a raw bone to naw on, day be better in da morning. Maybe sum rib bones or chekin lags wood work.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts