Dog Food Chat banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
Hahaha, ok. I feel dumb. New to the whole raw thing. I guess I should have done a little more homework eh? Thanks for the enlightenment.
Awh, don't feel dumb! We're all here to learn and share what we know.
Trust me, when I joined this site about a year ago, I not only didn't feed raw, but I was against it. Then I learned more... and, well, now I have about 300lbs of meat in two freezers in my garage, and very healthy dogs. lol.
We all start somewhere, right?

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Great proof! ..But what the hell is it lol!

My dog killed a rabbit and I let him bring it home to eat it. He ate every single part (even the fur & head) but not the intestines/stomach!
I think you were asking what the pictures were of? they are of deer stomach and intestines left over by coyote kill.

That is VERY interesting to hear that about the rabbit!!! I haven't feed a whole rabbit yet, I would like to and I wonder what my dog would do. I think in the wild carnivores who feed on rabbits may eat the whole thing because it is so small, and it is just easier that way. But the amount of plant matter is so minimal that it is more neutral than anything. Or they may in fact eat everything but the digestive system...I am not too sure?

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
I think it depends on the dog, if they will eat the entire thing. Shiloh caught a rabbit last summer, but I'm pretty sure she ate the entire thing because by the time we saw her with it all that was left was the legs sticking out of her mouth!

I know that RFD's dogs will eat rabbits but cut the stomach open with their teeth and shake out the contents before eating it. We have yet to know what any of our other dogs do!

Either way, the amount of contents in the digestive tract of a rabbit is so small that it is negligible in terms of nutrients.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I think you were asking what the pictures were of? they are of deer stomach and intestines left over by coyote kill.

That is VERY interesting to hear that about the rabbit!!! I haven't feed a whole rabbit yet, I would like to and I wonder what my dog would do. I think in the wild carnivores who feed on rabbits may eat the whole thing because it is so small, and it is just easier that way. But the amount of plant matter is so minimal that it is more neutral than anything. Or they may in fact eat everything but the digestive system...I am not too sure?
Yeah I was wondering what animal the pics were.

Wild dogs might eat the whole thing because there is barely any plant matter, I wouldn't be surprised if they did.
Maybe my dog avoided it because he hates anything to do with vegetables/fruits/plants..? lol

Here is a YouTube video of it - http://www.youtube.com/user/muttdoglover88#p/u/24/Md_ZpVrYZ6A

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
Proof???? Doubtful that this is the dietary remains of coyotes and more likely a mountain lion.
In the grand scheme of things it doesn't really make a huge difference one way or the other. Its all in how you perceive things. There IS one thing that is certain...its the remains left over from a carnivores dinner :wink:

ETA: Knowing exactly where Amy lives (I've been there myself and work with her on a daily basis) I would actually say that its a coyote kill. Mountain lions typically don't come down that low into the city but there are an abundance of coyotes/foxes around

·
Registered
93 Posts
In the grand scheme of things it doesn't really make a huge difference one way or the other. Its all in how you perceive things. There IS one thing that is certain...its the remains left over from a carnivores dinner :wink:

ETA: Knowing exactly where Amy lives (I've been there myself and work with her on a daily basis) I would actually say that its a coyote kill. Mountain lions typically don't come down that low into the city but there are an abundance of coyotes/foxes around
I will strongly disagree with you that mountain lions don't come down in to a city, I lived in Colorado for 7 years.

Your right, it's all in how you perceive things and IMO dogs are omnivores not strict carnivores. :wink:

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
I will strongly disagree with you that mountain lions don't come down in to a city, I lived in Colorado for 7 years.

Your right, it's all in how you perceive things and IMO dogs are omnivores not strict carnivores. :wink:
I've lived here my entire life. Even lived in the mountains, in the foothills and in the heart of the city. There's no doubt in my mind that they do come down into the city but they are very few and far between. There is an overabundance of coyotes and foxes lower down.

Disagree with me or not, but you're still wrong :wink:

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Proof???? Doubtful that this is the dietary remains of coyotes and more likely a mountain lion.
I'm just curious (since you never bothered to introduce yourself here...), what experience do you have to disagree with the statements that have been made?

Why are you so confident this is not a coyote, wolf, or dog kill?

BTW, I've lived in Colorado my entire life as well and I can almost count the number of mountain lion sightings on one hand. They typically don't come into the city because they're fearful of humans.

·
Registered
10,128 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
I still give mine some veggies .. know why? BECAUSE THEY LIKE THEM! =) I also share a variety of fruits with them for the exact same reason. Both of mine loooove watermelon rind.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
I showed this to my Vet (dad) today and he said "I have always thought they went for the intestines then came back for the meat, guess not" lol, goes to show how skewed learning is. He was intrigued by the pictures and said "There's an education for you" thank-you for sharing this!

·
Registered
7 Posts
If you've ever seen a range coyote's poop you could sure tell there was a lot of vegetable matter in it! I have--looked like straw--and very dry. We were way back off the pavement up a dirt road and found the pile next to our trailer the next morning--my husband had talked to the neighboring rancher about hunting coyotes the day before. The coyote must have heard the conversation! :eek:

·
Registered
24 Posts
old thread I know, but thought I'd post this to add.

This was a rabbit left over I found all was left is bits of fur, intestines, stomach and it's head stripped of any meat on the head only part was left was the nose it was crazy.. Wasps were nuts over the meat scraps on the skull.
intestines

stomach here

I've sometimes seen just a little stomach content on the ground and no stomach maybe they only ate the lining or maybe ants and wasps ate it I dunno.

I found this remains this winter. The legs are still left and stomach and intestines are left. Crazy Saya and Bella wanted to eat it. gross. Bella is a big rabbit poo eater Saya not so much, but some reason she liked this.

Next day the legs were gone, but stomach and intestines stayed. It snowed and covered it, but when snow melted it was still there.

A deer was hit by a car nearby and it had to be dispatched by a cop it couldn't get up and had bad injury.

Vultures ate it during day and coyotes got it at night.
All was left was deer fur and stomach contents there was coyote poop too.

Corn in it too

Saya has had a whole baby rabbit and she ate it and once she got to stomach she took front teeth pulled it out a little and wouldn't touch the rabbit till I took the stomach and intestines out and then she proceeded to eat the rabbit. Second time she ate it all even stomach.

She gets whole quail once in a while and one of them she ate the stomach, but left the intestine. most times she eats it all except the feathers on the wing.

I seen rabbit stomach and intestines in my yard multiple times throughout my time living here.

This winter I had to put two intestines and stomach in trash one was in backyard good bit aways kinda between the area where the pond is and trails to the field..

Second time was at side of the house.

Coyotes in my field like apples.. I have like 8 in my property two in my yard and rest is in the field area. I see evidence in the coyote's poop.
Here's pic of one of them.. I think next fall I plan to get a game cam type thing to get pics of them enjoying sweet apples. I mean fruit is a given it's sweet and yummy so coarse dogs and coyotes like them. In wild you take what you can get.. Saya loves the pear tree I have she'll snack on them once in a while.

I'm guessing it ate a deer as it has fur and I see bits of hoof here's closer pic

There is grass in the poop, but it could be from eating the deer and the meat had grass attached to it. Kinda like when I feed raw outside after I mow the grass is loose so sometimes there is bit of grass on the meat. I rake, but there is always loose grass around so.

If you feel your dog needs veggies fine. Some dogs need bit more fiber in their diet. I don't think veggies and fruits are evil or anything. I'm Fine with barf style of diets long as it is done right.

The stomach contents of the deer my dad shot during deer season had no corn in it it was green with stuff that looks like nuts or something I forgot how it exactly looked. I wished I had taken pic it was neat to see what it ate.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.