Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So today I was letting my dogs run around in the open space behind my house and literally twenty feet from my fence I saw this :eek::

This was the remains of a coyote kill last night. It just PROVES that they do NOT go straight for the stomach of their prey...They ate everything except the spine, ribs, one leg, and the stomach and intestines. I feel so good about the prey model raw diet...it truly is the most natural diet for a domestic dog.

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
Those are awesome pictures Amy! Thank you SO much for posting them because now I can always use them for referencing and proving to people that dogs really don't need plant matter in their diet :biggrin:

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Those are awesome pictures Amy! Thank you SO much for posting them because now I can always use them for referencing and proving to people that dogs really don't need plant matter in their diet :biggrin:
No Prob! I thought it was pretty cool to see that :wink: . Normally I would be sad for the deer, but its the circle of life! I was wishing there was still some extra meat left for Jemma :tongue:!

I will no longer worry about Jemma not getting the right nutrients from PMR! Meat, bones and organs are all she needs!

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Holy cow! I can't believe how great your timing is!

After, oh, 3 or 4 months of feeding our dog raw, my husband JUST got around to telling me today that he thinks that we should incorporate veggies. WHAT?!?!? Apparently some of the people he does search & rescue with who feed raw said that veggies are a necessary part of a dog's diet. I told him it was crap (baised on my research in this forum no less :wink:), but he wants actual proof.

I think these pictures speak for themselves! Thanks for posting them!

Richelle

·
Banned
493 Posts
Oh, my:eek:

What type of critter do you think that is?

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Holy cow! I can't believe how great your timing is!

I think these pictures speak for themselves! Thanks for posting them!
I agree!! This was just what I needed to see too...I have been feeding raw for almost two months but still in the back of my mind I was wondering about supplementing with veggies. Not now!! Thanks mother nature :smile:

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What did your dogs do when they saw this?
Just sniffed really. I was worried that they would try to eat the intestines, but they were just sniffing around everywhere. It was a pretty bloody mess, so I think they knew it was death not dinnertime.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have been thinking about switching to PMR, but I think its funny how you all go on saying this is proof that veggies are not needed. All these pictures prove is that they ate a deer. Its a bit excessive to say that they do not need veggies just because you found what was left of a dead deer. Not that I am saying they need veggies.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
I have been thinking about switching to PMR, but I think its funny how you all go on saying this is proof that veggies are not needed. All these pictures prove is that they ate a deer. Its a bit excessive to say that they do not need veggies just because you found what was left of a dead deer. Not that I am saying they need veggies.
No, this post was made to prove they don't eat the stomach or contents

Many BARF feeders still believe that the stomach and contents are consumed which is why the feed veggies and things like green tripe

They don't need veggies because they don't have the dentition or digestive tract to extract any nutrition from them :wink:

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
I think we were all saying this because all of the research done on wolves says that they DON'T eat the contents of the stomach, and that these few pictures just reiterates what is written.

I don't really NEED photographic evidence to tell me dogs don't need veggies. It is interesting that the coyotes left only the lower digestive tract on this deer, considering skeptics of the PMR diet say that they will eat these parts.

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
My Abby (almost 10 year old Great Dane) hasn't eaten a fruit or veggie in 7 years. My Thor (5 year old Great Dane) has never eaten a fruit or veggie in his life. Both dogs are healthy. THIS is what tells me that dogs don't need fruits and veggies in their diet. Add to that the fact that they can't extract nutrients from plant material because of the way their bodies are designed is even more proof.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hahaha, ok. I feel dumb. New to the whole raw thing. I guess I should have done a little more homework eh? Thanks for the enlightenment.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts