Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, as many already know, I have hopes of breeding Pembroke Welsh Corgis someday, not anytime soon as I feel I have quite a bit to learn, and need to find a suitable mentor first anyway. I was wondering something today as I was reading online....

I've found a few sources that say to not feed calcium rich foods during pregnancy.

I even found one page that says to not feed bones to raw fed dogs during pregnancy.

I have no idea what sources are reliable, so I thought I'd ask here. I can't imagine feeding no bones for two months time, wouldn't they get lose stools? Does anyone have experience raw feeding a pregnant bitch? Do you do anything differently raw feeding? Do you do anything different post delivery?

I've found some inforation on kibble feeding, obviously, just not sure about raw and what sources are reliable or not. Obviously I'm not breeding any time soon. (I don't even have an in tact corgi!) I'm just constantly educating myself so that in a few years when that day comes, I might know what I'm doing...

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
I'm posting up on the Dane forum to ask them. I know that there are a bunch of raw feeders there as well as breeders. I will let you know what they say!

I would think that a raw diet, bone inclusive, would be the best thing for a pregnant bitch. But I want to ask the experts there first.

I do remember reading about not supplementing with calcium during pregnancy (I guess a lot of people who DON'T do their research end up doing this and resulting with issues with puppies). Artificial supplementation can be hazardous not only with dog but with humans as well...

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm posting up on the Dane forum to ask them. I know that there are a bunch of raw feeders there as well as breeders. I will let you know what they say!

I would think that a raw diet, bone inclusive, would be the best thing for a pregnant bitch. But I want to ask the experts there first.

I do remember reading about not supplementing with calcium during pregnancy (I guess a lot of people who DON'T do their research end up doing this and resulting with issues with puppies). Artificial supplementation can be hazardous not only with dog but with humans as well...
Thanks, I am interested to see the replies. I have read in most places that say not to supplement with calcium, but I'm just unclear on what amount of bone content would be acceptable. Of course when I do breed I will be keeping the bitch on raw, and probably weaning the pups onto raw as well... I'm just in the information gathering phase at the moment, so I apologize in advance for the breeding questions I will surely be posting in the future! I have yet to find a decent breeder forum, and the breeding sections of the boxer and corgi forums I'm on aren't really what I'm looking for, either.

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
This is the first reply that I got and she is a well known person on the forum, been feeding raw for a long time.

I did breed and I fed raw to my pregnant females. Feed them like you normally would. Give raw eggs shell and all several times a week. Give organ meat weekly. Liver, kidneys, and heart which is muscle meat but they need it for the taurine. Just increase the amount you feed as the pregnancy goes on. For the first 30 days no increase is necessary. Concentrate on very nutritious food.

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
Lindsey,
I think Natalie is getting the information from DOL and I know there are some knowledgeable breeders over there who feed raw. You might also join the rawfeeding yahoo group. I know there are also breeders in that group who feed raw. It would just be another knowledgable source of information. I would only listen to experienced raw feeders who are experienced breeders. Thats where you will get the best information.

ETA: I don't know for sure but I'll bet there is a rawbreeders list on yahoo. You might check that.

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
I am getting my info from there. I am also in the process of getting some info on a breeder who used to breed danes and now is into breeding corgis who raw feeds. I am sure she is a wealth of information on the subject.

ETA: I wish I would have raw fed Bailey when she was pregnant but it is what it is!!!

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Lindsey,
I think Natalie is getting the information from DOL and I know there are some knowledgeable breeders over there who feed raw. You might also join the rawfeeding yahoo group. I know there are also breeders in that group who feed raw. It would just be another knowledgable source of information. I would only listen to experienced raw feeders who are experienced breeders. Thats where you will get the best information.

ETA: I don't know for sure but I'll bet there is a rawbreeders list on yahoo. You might check that.
Thanks for the tips! I joined the rawfeeding yahoo group a long time ago, but my inbox was simply FLOODED by the messages. I'll check for a raw breeding one, that would be ideal, and save y'all from my namy questions!

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
Ahhhhh .... you have to learn the secret of the rawfeeding yahoo group. You don't receive any emails from them. Just read the posts via the web. They will flood your mailbox if you elect to receive them. :smile: Also when you check via the web, you only read the posts that interest you.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts