Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone! I have been lurking on this forum for a couple of weeks and I think I am ready to give this raw feeding thing a shot – there are just too many evident benefits! :smile:

I have a 2 year old Curly Coated Retriever who is not a big chewer at all. She ignores any kind of beef/marrow bone or knuckle bone, and in fact the only thing she will chew is a bully stick. In addition, she is a picky eater who will eat some kibbles, wander around for a few minutes, then return for a bit more, etc. So should I start her out on pre-made/ground raw, or just jump right in with chicken backs and wait her out if she won’t touch them? Also is their poop as small/firm with pre-ground raw as it is with prey model raw?

Thanks, I am so excited to start on this journey – this forum seems so supportive of newbies like me…thanks in advance! :biggrin:

·
Registered
4 Posts
One thing I've found to be easiest when feeding - get your girl hungry! Walk her, run her, play with her. Then, wait an hour or two, and feed her whatever. Don't feed too soon before or after exercising, but through experience, picky eaters tend to not be "hungry" enough. Good luck! And I'd definitely do prey model raw instead of ground raw.

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
Hello and welcome, I had a picky kibble eater but when I switched to a PMR diet she has become my "garbage gut", some dogs just aren't crazy about eating and I'm not sure if yours will change once you switch but lets hope so.

I definitely wouldn't go with the premade raw patties as alot of them have inappropriate ingredients and you never really know what the ratio is. If you go with the PMR you know exactly what is going in your dog. So jump in and start, you won't look back!

·
Registered
10,780 Posts
not for nuthin',

but, at two, it's possible to have a mild case of gingivitis....which can cause your baby some discomfort...

once you've gotten into raw, you may well see a whole different kind of eater :)

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
In addition, she is a picky eater who will eat some kibbles, wander around for a few minutes, then return for a bit more, etc.
You are worrying about a problem that may or may not ever exist. Worry about it when and if it happens. Picky eaters among raw fed dogs isn't common.

So should I start her out on pre-made/ground raw,
Absolutely not.

or just jump right in with chicken backs and wait her out if she won’t touch them?
Yes, but don't anticipate problems that may never exist. :smile:

Also is their poop as small/firm with pre-ground raw as it is with prey model raw?
Don't know as I have never fed pre made raw but I suspect pre made stools will be larger because of the inappropriate ingredients in most pre made raw blends.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Great thanks guys!

magicre: funny you should say that - I just adopted her 2 weeks ago from her breeder, and had her spayed at the same time...while she was asleep I asked them to check her teeth and clean if needed - well sure enough she had moderate gingivitis, according to the vet report! Maybe her gums are still a bit sore, hopefully the raw diet will prevent that from reoccurring!

And RawFedDogs - you are right, I am a worrier by nature and am totally anticipating problems that may or may not arise! I promise to have a glass of wine and let things unfold as they may...:)

I am so looking forward to learning from everyone here and doing the best thing for my girl - all our doggies deserve it! I just wish I was more educated when I had my last Curly...poor girly suffered from chronic ear infections and bouts of digestive upset all her life - I am sure she would have thrived on a raw diet :(

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Georgie my pomeranian was a very picky eater before switching to raw, he had to have canned food mixed in with his food, didn't like it if I tried to rotate his diet, so far the only thing raw he hasn't liked/eaten is Smelt, he loves everything else for the most part.

·
Registered
10,780 Posts
you've got a great support group here...start slowly....read the posts and links....don't go too fast....

chicken backs...yum.

that gingivitis will clear up in no time and in months, you won't recognise your baby...

be glad you worry. it's that worry that got you here :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts