Dog Food Chat banner

121 - 132 of 132 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,271 Posts
Every time I see a picture of your crew Natalie, I just can't help but wonder where there is any room for you and Jon! LOL

·
Registered
221 Posts
Sonya just had her senior panel done to prepare her for anesthesia (dental cleaning and tooth extraction). She is a bull terrier, 4 yrs old, and has been eating raw for 2.5 years.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I love the idea of sharing blood work.

I just had my dogs blood work done this past week. I had to laugh when the vet called me up and told me that he wished his blood work was as good as my dogs lol.

I'm extremely happy. Everything was in the normal range. The only things that were elevated were HGB and HCT and those were by points, not even whole numbers. The reference range for the HGB is 12-18g/dL and his was 18.3 and the HCT reference range is 37-55% and his was at 55.7. Everything else was perfect. I did do some reading about the HGB and HCT levels and the only thing I can think is that he was somewhat dehydrated. I had fasted him for over 12hrs from his dinner the night before and he isn't really a big drinker. I usually mix in a little water with his premade just to make sure he gets enough and his urine is always usually a clear light yellow except for first thing in the morning. I forgot to get a urinalysis done but he'll be getting another blood test done in January since I get his blood work done every 6 months so I'll do it then.

He's been eating a premade raw for the past year. Doing really well on it. Couldn't be happier. :)

Although, I am a bit confused about the BUN levels. I was doing some reading about how raw can impact blood work and saw that the BUN can be elevated on a raw diet because of the higher protein. His BUN was only at an 8 though with the reference range being 7-27mg/dL. I mean, I'm not complaining, obviously it's great that his levels aren't elevated and his kidneys are functioning perfectly. Just wondering if that's abnormal on a raw diet.

·
Registered
16 Posts
When an animal(or human) is becoming deficient in something like a mineral, their body will leach out minerals from bones, muscle, and soft tissue to try to maintain the level that is needed. Therefore, particularly from the bones, mineral levels reduce very slowly and may not be reflected in a blood work-up but bone density and strength is suffering.
If you really want to be sure, find the daily requirements for the three major minerals(calcium, phosphorus, and magnesium and find USDA analysis for various meats. I think you will find that the amount going in is about 15 to 40% of daily requirements at best. There is an old computer term, gigo(garbage in, garbage out) meaning if there is not enough going in on a daily basis, sooner or later there is not enough available.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I love the idea of sharing blood work.

I just had my dogs blood work done this past week. I had to laugh when the vet called me up and told me that he wished his blood work was as good as my dogs lol.

I'm extremely happy. Everything was in the normal range. The only things that were elevated were HGB and HCT and those were by points, not even whole numbers. The reference range for the HGB is 12-18g/dL and his was 18.3 and the HCT reference range is 37-55% and his was at 55.7. Everything else was perfect. I did do some reading about the HGB and HCT levels and the only thing I can think is that he was somewhat dehydrated. I had fasted him for over 12hrs from his dinner the night before and he isn't really a big drinker. I usually mix in a little water with his premade just to make sure he gets enough and his urine is always usually a clear light yellow except for first thing in the morning. I forgot to get a urinalysis done but he'll be getting another blood test done in January since I get his blood work done every 6 months so I'll do it then.

He's been eating a premade raw for the past year. Doing really well on it. Couldn't be happier. :)

Although, I am a bit confused about the BUN levels. I was doing some reading about how raw can impact blood work and saw that the BUN can be elevated on a raw diet because of the higher protein. His BUN was only at an 8 though with the reference range being 7-27mg/dL. I mean, I'm not complaining, obviously it's great that his levels aren't elevated and his kidneys are functioning perfectly. Just wondering if that's abnormal on a raw diet.
Brit, That BUN on a raw diet is great! be thankful!

·
Registered
332 Posts
Dog Fancy is hardly a good place for valid info but I am almost sure I saw a short article in their on a University study had showed raw fed dogs had higher BUN and Creatinine numbers consistently. hey we're higher but still within the so called normal level. As others have said, blood work is just a snap shot but it provides a benchmark or a baseline of what is normal for that dog so as they age we can notice elevations that are a red flag. A healthy dog being fed raw may be working their kidneys a little harder, thus the higher levels within normal it if at an older age we see they aren't concentrating urine and levels are elevated, it is time to lower that protein, increasing the quality and using some non meat proteins, which have no nitrogen waste for those compromised kidneys to deal with. Again, these changes are only needed if the blood work shows renal compromise. One could argue, as I believe, that if you are feeding kibble, changing to a senior or geriatric profile as a preventative seems to make sense and has no down size. I know of dogs and cats with the earliest detected kidney issues that were brought down to normal levels simply by putting them on a renal friendly diet. The blood does tell quite a story. adly, dogs will have a wonderful coat and look fabulous while kidney disease progresses. Most of us wouldn't notice anything till about 2/3 of kidney function is gone. A testament to how well kidneys are designed but really making blood work for geriatric dogs a must.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Jersey's results from her surgery yesterday (TPLO) 7 years old, 2 months on raw, fasted
ALKP 12 , Ref range 23-212 U/L
ALT 10, Ref range 10-100 U/L
BUN 13, Ref Range 7-27 mg/dl
CREA 1.3, Ref Range .5-1.8 mg/dl
GLU 135, Ref Range 74-143 mg/dl
TP 7.5, Ref Range 5.2-8.2 g/dl
Her results on 9/29/14 before her 2nd tplo

ALKP 34 (23-212)
ALT 37 (10-100)
BUN 34 (7-27)
CREA 1.1 (0.5-1.8)
GLU 111 (70-143)
TP 6.6 (5.2-8.2)
ALB 3.3 (2.2-3.9)
alb/gl=1
bun/cr=31

She had bloodwork done this year before a dental too but must not have gotten a copy.

121 - 132 of 132 Posts