Dog Food Chat banner

81 - 100 of 132 Posts

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
She wasnt a fan of fish anyway... so Im sure if Ruby knew how, she would thank you for telling me to stop the fish :tongue: I will use up the rest of the Sisu salmon oil, then switch to nordic naturals, I know my friend sells that one at her store. have not seen the carlsons brand there though.

Ruby was getting sardines breakfast sunday and breakfast tuesday. I switched it to turkey with quail or chicken egg sunday and rabbit tuesday, both days using one capsule of salmon oil. Is that ok?

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
Thanks Re, this is the one I have now SISU Products and it is soy free. When I am done the bottle I will look for the one you suggested :)

Also, I dont think you gave me an answer to this question, should I still stick with the 10% organ (which is 5.60 oz a week) or should I decrease the weekly organ amount?

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
Here is Sargeant's blood work. Sorry for the terrible picture quality, I do not own a scanner.

His cholesterol is a little bit high and his MCHC is low (can someone tell me what that is?). Other than that, everything is in range.

He has been fed raw part time since 2007 and full time for four months.

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
On the first picture (his urine test Multistix) I cut off part of the page. For blood it says small +.

So, blood in the urine? That can't be good.

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
What do you make of the elevated cholesterol?
I have no idea about the cholesterol - I know Donna's dog has so much cholesterol in his blood before they started raw the vet was amazed.

Now, this is what my vet told me about it last time Rebel's was done - he said often large dogs have fat in their blood that makes it hard to "spin" to do the test. I don't know whether that's bad or good, but that's what he told me.

Rebel actually had very little so I wonder what food issues on raw would cause high cholesterol - my dogs eat more fat than probably 99% of dogs on raw.

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
Sarge gets some fat but for the most part, he eats the leaner cuts so I am not sure what to do really. His results show only a slight elevation but you know how overly worried we dog parents can be....

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
Sarge gets some fat but for the most part, he eats the leaner cuts so I am not sure what to do really. His results show only a slight elevation but you know how overly worried we dog parents can be....
I couldn't see that number. I didn't realize it wasn't elevated very much. I think it's probably like the other stuff, not worry-worthy even though of course we can't help it!

I wonder if dogs are like people - it seems like some just have a genetic predisposition to higher cholesterol levels.

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
The cholesterol is in the third pic down. Normal ranges is 98 - 300 ans Sarge is at 355. My vet did tell me its only slightly elevated and she didn't seem concerned...but...my middle name is concern/worry and when its about my dogs it is a capital C for concern and when it is about Sargie Padoodles.....well.....it's CONCERN.

LOL

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
The cholesterol is in the third pic down. Normal ranges is 98 - 300 ans Sarge is at 355. My vet did tell me its only slightly elevated and she didn't seem concerned...but...my middle name is concern/worry and when its about my dogs it is a capital C for concern and when it is about Sargie Padoodles.....well.....it's CONCERN.

LOL
I know what you mean! For some dogs, everything either is a crisis, can turn into a crisis, or is a crisis waiting to happen.

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
I wouldn't worry about cholesterol being slightly elevated. If it were through the roof, then yes. But if you're that worried about it have blood work rechecked in a month or two.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Got Rosey's blood work back today. Her Potassium, A/G Ratio, MCHC and Lumphocytes were high (barely). Her TCD2(Bicarbonate) and NA/K Ratio were low, but again..barely. She got her blood work done at 10:45 am, and she hadn't eaten since 6 or 7pm the night before (she had pork that night, tripe and pork fat that morning). Anything you guys see that I should be concerned about? I know nothing is REALLY out of range, but I'm wondering if anything could be fixed with a few tweaks to her diet. I know she needs more organ variety (only eats liver and kidney atm). I'll be getting her urinalysis back soon. Whoever ran it the first time messed up so I have to bring in another sample... :rolleyes:

CCF05212012_00000.jpg
CCF05212012_00001.jpg

81 - 100 of 132 Posts