Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been reading about adding raw eggs to dog food. We have soooo many eggs we get from our hens, that I have been adding one into the dogs food daily. I have found out some of them get the runs really bad with eggs, so they don't get them. As far as for the ones who can have them, I have read cook them, and don't cook them. I have read once a week only, and daily is fine. I have heard the yolks contain enough biotin to not matter with the whites, and I have heard the white destroys the biotin in the yolk. I am quite confused. What do all of you think about it? The ones of ours who eat the egg, look really good. I am not seeing any bad effects.

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
I think as long as you give them, either raw or cooked (altho I cannot see any benefit to cooking them), as an added part to their diet it shouldn't be a problem. If you were feeding them as a major part of their diet it might become a problem. I give my dogs raw whole eggs on a regular basis because they are so cheap.

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
Eggs are a very good and nutritious food source. It's a close to perfect as you can get. Raw is always better than cooked. Let the dogs tell you what they can and can't eat. If some dogs do well on an egg a day, feed it. If others can only eat one or two a week, feed it that way. Don't worry about boitin. Feed whole eggs. Feed the shells if you want to. No need to grind them either. I used to feed the shell but finally decided that my dogs were getting enough calcium in the diet from bones so I stopped the shells.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks ya'll! I am adding one to their food daily,(to the ones who can handle it), and adding the shell I may also begin doing, but maybe not daily. Glad to know that!

·
Registered
21 Posts
I am brand new to this forum, so take my opinion for what it's worth....I feed raw eggs (with shells) to my dogs. I mix it in with their daily veggie "glop" and they've never had a problem.

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
I am brand new to this forum, so take my opinion for what it's worth....I feed raw eggs (with shells) to my dogs. I mix it in with their daily veggie "glop" and they've never had a problem.
It's awesome that you joined and am glad you feed a raw diet! Plus adding eggs in is a great thing! But why the veggie glop?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Thanks for the welcome! I got the veggie glop recipe from Ian Billingsworth's book! And they like their veggies! It's just whatever veggies I can find (usually leafy greens-NEVER corn), apple cider vinegar, yogurt (has been a miracle as far as a probiotic) and whole eggs.

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
Many people begin theri raw feeding career feeding veggie glop from Ian's book but soon learn they aren't necessary. I began that way but in less than 6 months found out they aren't needed and dropped them. There is no justification for feeding veggies to a carnivore. My dogs haven't had any veggies in 7 years and are healthy. When you cut out veggies you will notice there is no need for probiotics either. I like cake, cookies, and ice cream but they are not good for me nutritionally just as dogs have no need for veggies nutritionally.

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
Hey, I started with veggie glop for that reason too! But after a while, I decided against it because (as RFD has remarked in other threads as well), after feed it, I noticed that their stools were larger and softer, which is hardly the reason I'm feeding raw! Also, if they're larger and softer, they obviously aren't digesting it very well, so there's no point in feeding something they aren't digesting.

But I'm glad you're feeding raw, and whether you stick with veggie goop or not, you're doing a very good thing for your pups!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Thanks! They are so much healthier since I started raw. My border collie had horrible inflamed skin, hair falling out, etc. She was on a "quality" kibble, but once I switched her over the inflammation was gone, her hair grew back, she's calmer (she was pretty high-strung). My other dog is a rescue and I put her on raw right away. She was soooo skinny when I got her and now she's filled out and at a healthy weight!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts