Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dog is trying my patience! My 45-pound collie/terrier mix is not adapting very well to this raw diet . . . and he's the one I'm doing it for because of his health problems.

First he threw up, then he acted weird and shivered and panted and now he refuses to eat where I tell him to, even though I know he's hungry. He has only eaten just a bite or two in the last two days because he won't go out on the porch to eat or he won't stay in the kitchen to eat. He insists on dragging the meat into a bedroom to eat it. If we put him outside on the deck with the meat in a bowl, he won't eat it.

The first day he ate on the porch with no problems (that's the day he got sick after eating 3 chicken backs at one time). I can't baby gate the kitchen because of the way my house is laid off - it has a wide open space between the kitchen/living room/dining room - there's no baby gate long enough.

Any advice on what to do with him? Should I try to keep coaxing him to eat or should I wait it out and hope he gets hungry enough to do it my way? I don't know of any doggy psychiatrists and I can't afford Cesar Millan.

On another note, my Jack Russell, Vito, loves his new diet and eats the meat wherever I put it. He had trouble at first with chewing it but is even doing better with that now.

Has anyone else had problems like the one I'm having with getting my dog to eat where I put the food?

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
Any advice on what to do with him? Should I try to keep coaxing him to eat or should I wait it out and hope he gets hungry enough to do it my way? I don't know of any doggy psychiatrists and I can't afford Cesar Millan.
Well Cesar Millan is the last person you want to talk to. What you do is take charge of the house. You are the human, he is a dog. He does what he's told. This mindset is an attitude and you need to learn to have it and use it.

Get a marker for him to eat on. That would be a plastic table cloth, towel, folded up sheet, or any other large enough item to be an eating place. Put h is food on the marker. This is where he will eat from now on. When he moves his meat off the marker, IMMEDIATELY move it back to the marker. It shouldn't take more than 3 or 4 times for him to figure out he can't move off the marker to eat.

Don't beg him, cajole him, or bargain with him. Put the food down and step away. If he moves it, move it right back. If he doesn't eat it, fine. Put it back in the fridge until next meal time. No treats or snacks before the next meal. Give him exactly the same animal part he refused the meal before.

Don't get upset with him or yourself. Just calmly and matter of factly follow my directions. He will eat it in time. No dog will starve himself in the presence of food. Don't feed guilty because you are starving him because you are not. You are offering him food twice a day. He is the one making the decision whether or not to eat it.

Keep his meals small right now.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts