Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am interested in switching my dog over to a raw diet. At the moment he is on kibble and does recieve meat occasionally whenever I clean out the freezer, or while preparing suppper and cut off the pieces we do not want to cook and eat. I have a lot of questions and hope to find some people on here willing to answer them. Also if anyone could provide links to great articles on feeding raw that would be wonderful.

Is there any type of meat that I should avoid feeding to my dog? Ive heard that you should freeze the meat for a min of 2 weeks before feeding it, is 2 wks enough or should I freeze for 1 month. Can I ever feed fresh meat without freezing it?

When it comes to wild game is there any kind that I should never feed due to possiable diseases or whatnot? I would have access to lots of deer, turkey and other fowl plus occasionally bear.

Is there any type of fish that I should avoid feeding? And also can I feed the whole fish or do I need to cut it up and remove the fins/ head or w/e.

Is there anything else I should feed to him while doing meat and bones?

Also if anyone could provide any other info I should know I would be greatful.

Our current dog will not keep weight on. I was told that switching him to raw might help especially considering his 'breed'. His vet assures me he has no health problems besides being too skinny. I havent talked to the vet about raw yet but plan on bringing it up at the next visit. Once I have him switched over onto raw and have figured everything out I hope to bring another dog into the household. Is there anything special I should know about feeding raw to a growing puppy?

Thank you in advanced for your help.

Mama Sky

·
Registered
253 Posts
Hi Mama Sky,

I was in the same situation you are in. We rescued a 3 yr. old German Shepherd, Jody, and she was underweight. I fed her a high quality dog kibble but it seemed she pooped more then she ate. It was frustrating because I would up her food intake and her stool would be runny or soft.

Since switching to a raw diet she her stools are tiny which tells me she is absorbing food/nutrients and she has gained weight. I understand some dogs
are just naturally thin but if they aren't absorbing the nutrients and calories they need because their bodies can't process dog kibble then a completely different situation.

I am sure other will chime in and help you. Our transition has been flawless thanks to the people on this site.

Tami

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
Hello and welcome! Please go to RawFedDogs signature and read all about feeding raw, also go through the raw section threads and read, read and read , so much to learn.

Also to answer on or two of your questions, meat fed from the grocery store does not need to be frozen for 2 weeks before feeding, venison is absolutely great to feed, there are people on here who would only feed that if they had access to it. Do not feed bear as it has something in it that is bad. Fish is an essential part of the diet for omega 3 fatty acids but you won't feed that for awhile. Organs are also essential. Hope this helps answer a few of your questions.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for the replys. I have been reading the other threads on here. I will visit those links you mentioned as soon as my kids go to bed.

My husbands dog is a germen shepherd x timber wolf. the local rescues agree that the hybrids do better on a meat diet and often times they see simliar dogs that are so skinny they look starved. Ive rescued hybrids before but this is the first time that ive had one who wont keep weight on. In regards to his weight issues when he does go onto a raw diet should I allow him more then the 2% people mention?

Thanks
mama Sky

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
Also if anyone could provide links to great articles on feeding raw that would be wonderful.
Hey Mama Sky, welcome to the board. I hope you find what you want here. You can check out my site at Skylar, Zack, and Abby on the WEB

Is there any type of meat that I should avoid feeding to my dog?
As far as grocery store meat, feed anything you want. Most wild game is ok. Some people don't like to feed things like possums or coons. Those are probably ok to feed. It's a personal choice.

Ive heard that you should freeze the meat for a min of 2 weeks before feeding it, is 2 wks enough or should I freeze for 1 month. Can I ever feed fresh meat without freezing it?
You might want to freeze wild meat for maybe a month to kill parasites but grocery store meat is fine to feed the instant you get home with it.

When it comes to wild game is there any kind that I should never feed due to possiable diseases or whatnot?
Not because of diseases. It's not a bad idea to freeze most wild meat to kill parasites that may be present. Having said that, my dogs and cats eat a lot of wild rabbits they catch and kill and so far that hasn't caused a problem. The cats eat LOTS of small wild critters without ever having a problem from them.

I would have access to lots of deer, turkey and other fowl plus occasionally bear.
Feed all those and any you have left over, send to me. :smile:

Is there any type of fish that I should avoid feeding? And also can I feed the whole fish or do I need to cut it up and remove the fins/ head or w/e.
There is no reason to do anything to the fish you feed and you can feed any of them. However my dogs won't eat a whole fish unless I cut them into chunks. Some people cut the sharp fins off catfish. Others don't.

Organs

Our current dog will not keep weight on. I was told that switching him to raw might help especially considering his 'breed'.
His breed has notihng to do with it even if he has wolf in him. Feeding RAW will probably help him keep weight on but may not.

I havent talked to the vet about raw yet but plan on bringing it up at the next visit.
Most vets will try to talk you out of feeding raw because they have no understanding of it. All aren't like that. I talked to a vet a couple of months ago and told him I feed my dogs raw and he said, "best thing you can feed them. Bet you have healthy dogs." It's not often you run into a vet like that.

Once I have him switched over onto raw and have figured everything out I hope to bring another dog into the household. Is there anything special I should know about feeding raw to a growing puppy?
Nope. The few little things you will need to know, you will know by then. :smile:

·
Registered
253 Posts
Thank you for the replys. I have been reading the other threads on here. I will visit those links you mentioned as soon as my kids go to bed.

My husbands dog is a germen shepherd x timber wolf. the local rescues agree that the hybrids do better on a meat diet and often times they see simliar dogs that are so skinny they look starved. Ive rescued hybrids before but this is the first time that ive had one who wont keep weight on. In regards to his weight issues when he does go onto a raw diet should I allow him more then the 2% people mention?

Thanks
mama Sky
Mama Sky,

I am speaking from experience. As tempting as it is to feed your dog more so they gain weight try not to do it. In fact, for the first few days I fed a little less. I think one of the reasons I gave up raw feeding the first time was I overfed my GSD and I offered new meats too quickly. Both of this contributed to loose stool. The second time around I followed Raw Fed Dogs and Dane Mama's instructions to a T. Magicre has been helpful and has been guiding me through the day to day questions.

Now that I am 3 weeks in to raw feeding I am able to feed Jody a little more than 2% more of her body weight but I worked up to it slowly.

I am still feeding only chicken but can leave the skin on and am offering more at each feeding. I will add a new protein soon but I am not in a hurry this time around.

You are going to be so amazed how how their bodies process raw meat so efficiently.

Tami

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
Mama Sky,

I am speaking from experience. As tempting as it is to feed your dog more so they gain weight try not to do it. In fact, for the first few days I fed a little less.
Good point. I should have mentioned that. Don't feed him a lot in the beginning just for weight gain. Right now weight gain is not our object. The object is to get him to eat raw meat, bones, and organs and have no digestive upset. One of the causes of diarrhea is over feeding. I would keep the amount to around 2% a day for now. I think you will find he will get to his proper weight on not a lot more than that. Certainly less than 3%. For now, unless he is near starvation, don't worry about weight. We can worry about weight in a couple of months after he has completely adjusted to digesting real food.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I want to thank all of you for your helpful answers. Im doing alot of reading tonight. Ive also contacted a co-op that is in my area to see what deals I can get.

In regards to the fish I followed the link you provided and at the end it said its safe as long as you freeze it for a month. I just want to be sure this is correct. I was going to head to the river and go fishing to see what I could catch and freeze it for the future when the dog is ready to have fish in his diet. Right now is one of the best times to go since the water levels are perfect and no one is fighting over the fishing spots yet. - Also should I cut up the fish just to be safe- with alot of fishers in the area I have come across a fish before when cutting it up to cook and finding a hook inside.

Thank you

Mama Sky

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
Also should I cut up the fish just to be safe- with alot of fishers in the area I have come across a fish before when cutting it up to cook and finding a hook inside.
You want to be sure that there aren't hooks inside. Also you want fish that was taken from water that is clean enough so that you would eat fish out of that body of water.

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
The seafood guy at one of my previous stores would give me salmon heads for free. Otherwise he just threw them away. Unfortunately my dogs didn't like them and after looking at them closely they didn't appear to be very nutritious. As I remember they seemed to be nothing but skin and bone.

·
Registered
10,780 Posts
The seafood guy at one of my previous stores would give me salmon heads for free. Otherwise he just threw them away. Unfortunately my dogs didn't like them and after looking at them closely they didn't appear to be very nutritious. As I remember they seemed to be nothing but skin and bone.
the difference between atlantic salmon and pacific salmon is wow.

the boxes of salmon waste i could get.....from alaska....and free and i can't feed it to my dogs....:(

but between lew olson's site and her peeps and rawfeeding and other articles i keep reading....it just seems that it's not worth the chance...

and i read that farmed trout and farmed salmon are nutritionless...on these same lists and forums.

so i think i'll stick to sardines and smelts.

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
the difference between atlantic salmon and pacific salmon is wow.

the boxes of salmon waste i could get.....from alaska....and free and i can't feed it to my dogs....:(
Sure you can feed them. All you do is freeze them for a month first. There are zillions of raw feeders that do that and I have never heard of a single one that had any problems.

but between lew olson's site and her peeps and rawfeeding and other articles i keep reading....it just seems that it's not worth the chance...
There is one thing that perhaps you don't yet understand. Lew Olsen is in business to sell supplements. The ONLY purpose of her web site and her yahoo list is to sell supplements. You must take that into account when you read her writings.

and i read that farmed trout and farmed salmon are nutritionless...on these same lists and forums.
Bet you read that on Lew's page.

so i think i'll stick to sardines and smelts.
I am confident that farm raised salmon has more nutrition than either of those two things.

I have known Lew many years and have had several "discussions" with her about the stuff she writes. Of course she swears that your dogs will die very early in life if you don't use A LOT of supplements to keep them alive. She makes her living off supplement sales.

·
Registered
10,780 Posts
Sure you can feed them. All you do is freeze them for a month first. There are zillions of raw feeders that do that and I have never heard of a single one that had any problems.
i've read it both ways, and not just on the lists and lew's site...i know she's out to sell supplements....and i support capitalism...but there is nothing in it for her whether or not i feed salmon....or her contributors....they are the ones who are citing site after site that does not support PNW salmon...

There is one thing that perhaps you don't yet understand. Lew Olsen is in business to sell supplements. The ONLY purpose of her web site and her yahoo list is to sell supplements. You must take that into account when you read her writings.
i do understand. i too am in business....and i do take that into account. i have read this elsewhere, too.....

the problem i have is the unsurety, the wild swings in opinions and scientific reports...i came across this one and thought, wow, i'm home free....
and, then (i'd have to find them) i get a slew of websites saying, no...no...no...RE...do you WANT to take the chance? and it then becomes a question of 'is it worth it'.....

across many boards and websites, the certaintly of feeding raw, the certainty of starting with chicken, the certainty that venison is almost the perfect food....the certainty of cannon butt if you don't do it right...i mean, down the line, everything you and natalie and many forum members say is dead nuts on....but this? this is so uncertain...

Alaska?s Salmon-Eating Wolves

Bet you read that on Lew's page.
not just hers......just google it....this is a hot topic....especially for those of us who feed raw....we have a group on this forum who live in WA state....and Oregon...i wonder what their opinions are...about this...

I am confident that farm raised salmon has more nutrition than either of those two things.
that i will disagree with....farm raised are fed the hulls of shrimp and pellets, kind of like dog food only for fish....not very nutritious in my opinion...and i've been to the hatcheries.....they are pretty sterile....lacking all that is offered from a natural habitat

I have known Lew many years and have had several "discussions" with her about the stuff she writes. Of course she swears that your dogs will die very early in life if you don't use A LOT of supplements to keep them alive. She makes her living off supplement sales.
this is different than my experience with her...and of course, i'm neither defending nor opposing her stance...but my experience with her is that she only feeds supps when someone is home cooking...other than that, her rotties, i believe, that's what she breeds....are not supplemented...so many of her readers have dogs with canine diseases and are either feeding kibble, home cooking, or both or feeding raw...and any combination there in.

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
I am interested in switching my dog over to a raw diet. At the moment he is on kibble and does recieve meat occasionally whenever I clean out the freezer, or while preparing suppper and cut off the pieces we do not want to cook and eat. I have a lot of questions and hope to find some people on here willing to answer them. Also if anyone could provide links to great articles on feeding raw that would be wonderful.
There is a wealth of knowledge and experience here for you at your disposal. Many helpful and friendly people willing to help you through the whole transition. You will have many questions that pop up and we will all be happy to answer them. Thank you for looking into feeding raw, it really is the best thing you can do for your dogs :wink:

Is there any type of meat that I should avoid feeding to my dog? Ive heard that you should freeze the meat for a min of 2 weeks before feeding it, is 2 wks enough or should I freeze for 1 month. Can I ever feed fresh meat without freezing it?
Luckily the list of "no no's" is fairly short. I don't suggest you feed weight bearing bones of any kind from larger ungulates (ie cow bones). These have the potential to break and crack teeth, which is not something you want to happen. This gets expensive and painful for the dog. This also includes marrow bones, my rule is that if it has a big hole in the middle or a ball joint on one end I stay away from it.

Odd shaped, cut bones I would also say to avoid. This includes any T-bone shaped bones because they are the perfect shape and density to potenially cause a blockage. I feed cut pork bones all the time, from shoulder/butt roast and country style pork ribs. But I would never feed a T-bone, there's something about the triangular shape to them once the dog has gnawed it down a bit.

Keep feeding of ground meats to a minimum. These don't provide any kind of dental hygiene aspect, usually a bit higher in fat content (not necessarily a bad thing), and they can harbor more bacteria which can cause bacterial "blooms" in the gut (colitis) for a newly transitioned dog. With this being said, I think that feeding ground meat once a week doesn't hurt at all. Its sometimes the most affordable way to add in a protein that you couldn't normally feed.

The freezing thing is only in regards to fish from the Pacific Northwest region. This means wild caught and farm raised fish. They can harbor a parasite that carries the bacteria that causes salmon poisoning disease in dogs. Freezing at a very low temp for several weeks gets rid of the bug. Other than that, I don't worry about freezing all of the meat you feed. Since all the meat you will get at a grocery store is fit for human consumption, the rate of parasites is very, very low in the western nations. If I had the chance to feed my dogs fresh killed deer right on the spot I would. Or fresh whole chickens or rabbits. But most of the meat you buy in the store has been previously frozen, or you'll freeze it anyways for storage. So its kinda a moot point.

When it comes to wild game is there any kind that I should never feed due to possiable diseases or whatnot? I would have access to lots of deer, turkey and other fowl plus occasionally bear.
I wouldn't feed the bear because I have heard that some species of bear carry Trichanella , a parasite. I don't know if it causes disease in dogs or not though. Its something I would have to research to find out more on.

I wouldn't hold back from feeding any of it. I would skin wild animals though because they can harbor fleas, which carry Dipylidium caninum which is a species of dog tapeworms. Its not the end of the world if your dog were to contract this, you'd just have to deworm the dog. But to me prevention is easier and less expensive than treatment.

See above for fish from the PNW area.

I feed whole, frozen, raw fish all the time to my dogs. Head, fins, tail, scales and all is perfectly safe. Most dogs don't like raw fish though...

Some people feed/supplement in fruits and veggies, but these need to be processed in some way for the dog to get any nutrition out of them. This means pureeing them or cooking them into mush or something. Logic tells me that if you have to do this to food for a dog, then it really isn't appropriate at all to feed. Will it harm? Nope. Will it provide something good? Sure. Will it provide something that isn't provided in meat/bones/organs? Nope.

We sometimes give our dogs fruits and veggies as treats, but that is about it.

Some other people like to feed green tripe to their dogs as well. We've thought about it and will try it someday. Hopefully someone else will chime in about that one...

Also if anyone could provide any other info I should know I would be greatful.

Our current dog will not keep weight on. I was told that switching him to raw might help especially considering his 'breed'. His vet assures me he has no health problems besides being too skinny. I havent talked to the vet about raw yet but plan on bringing it up at the next visit. Once I have him switched over onto raw and have figured everything out I hope to bring another dog into the household. Is there anything special I should know about feeding raw to a growing puppy?
Feeding raw to a growing puppy is the best you can provide to him. There's not much different about switching an adult dog compared to a puppy, other than a puppy will switch over much faster than an adult dog who is used to kibble.

I wouldn't be surprised if your vet tells you that you're doing harm to your dog by feeding raw. Most vets don't care to learn about more natural aspects of nutrition because they were taught by the big box companies that Science Diet and Purina are the best things out there because they have "clinical science" backing it up. I would be honest with your vet though, even if they do tell you not to feed raw. Take it with a grain of salt and tell them that its your decision and not theirs....And on a side note, there really isn't anything unhealthy about being too skinny if there are no underlying health issues. I wish I was too skinny!

Thank you in advanced for your help.

Mama Sky
Of course! That is what we are here for! Please continue asking questions because that is the way you learn :biggrin:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts