Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does raw dehydrated count? I know its not a substitute for raw but isn't it in a more natural form than kibble? I feed my dog Addiction raw dehydrated and he likes his bowl clean everytime. I've found it a lot more convenient than I expected as I only have to add water.
I also supplement with homecooked as I'm really unsure with regards to bacteria risks. I did make my first foray into raw-ish food though, I seared a piece of chicken leaving the inside raw, my dog seemed to enjoy it!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Does raw dehydrated count? I know its not a substitute for raw but isn't it in a more natural form than kibble? I feed my dog Addiction raw dehydrated and he likes his bowl clean everytime. I've found it a lot more convenient than I expected as I only have to add water.
I also supplement with homecooked as I'm really unsure with regards to bacteria risks. I did make my first foray into raw-ish food though, I seared a piece of chicken leaving the inside raw, my dog seemed to enjoy it!
I've not heard of Addiction raw dehydrated food, however, I used to supplement my dogs diet with re hydrated raw foods by "The Honest Kitchen"
I would say, in my opinion, it is definitely a more natural form for a dog than kibble. I feel that kibble is the most unnatural form of dog food there is for a dog. If I had to choose out of a list, prey model raw would be first choice, pre-made raw and dehyrated raw food would be my second, homecooking would be my third, premium canned food would be my fourth and kibble would be my very last choice. I feed my dogs raw food, currently I have them on the pre-made raw medallions but I am looking into switching over to a prey model raw diet. I, like yourself, was concerned about the bacteria risks involved, but haven't had ANY problems with any of my dogs since switching them over to a raw diet. This is a great site to check out if you are concerned about bacteria: http://http://rawfed.com/myths/bacteria.html

All that to say, I think re hydrated raw food definitely counts for something and is certainly better than any kibble you could be feeding your dog, at least in my opinion.

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
Does raw dehydrated count? I know its not a substitute for raw but isn't it in a more natural form than kibble?
Dehydrated raw is great for camping, backpacking, picknicking, vacationing and for petsitters. As a regular diet, its not so grate. Whenever you process food you degrade it. Dehydrated is processed when its dehydrated and processed again when you add water.

Be very very careful heating meat with bones in it. Just alittle heat can cause a bone to get brittle and dangerous. There is much more danger from bones in a seared piece of meat than there is from bacteria in completely raw meat. There is no bacterial danger from any piece of raw meat you have in your house.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Be very very careful heating meat with bones in it. Just alittle heat can cause a bone to get brittle and dangerous.
RawFedDogs: I had no idea! :eek: I thought that as long as the inside was raw its fine. THank goodness it was a piece of breast meat, and thank you for letting me know. Are there certain meat bones that are more brittle than others? I've always had the idea that chicken bones are really fragile.
I agree that raw dehydrated is excellent for trips with the dogs, I bagged some one weekend trip and it was great not to have to lug around his regular food.

Thanks lovemymunchkins! I had a similar hierarchy list and felt raw dehydrated was a pretty decent product. I actually tried THK before the Addiction one but preferred the latter. I also use it as a topper sometimes.

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
RawFedDogs: I had no idea! :eek: I thought that as long as the inside was raw its fine.
Well it may be and it may not be. It may be ok most of the time then one time its not. I don't know how much heat it takes to make a bone brittle so I always advise against applying any heat to a piece of meat with bone in it.

Are there certain meat bones that are more brittle than others? I've always had the idea that chicken bones are really fragile.
Not really. There are bones that are more dense (harder) than others. In general you shouldn't feed the weight bearing bones of large animals such as cow. Those are very dense and can break, chip, or fracture teeth.

Chicken bones are great to feed your dog. They are relatively soft and plyable. They are great "starter" bones. I never advocate feeding bare bones. Only bones covered in meat. :smile:

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
Some idiot on the BARF website tried to say that chicken leg quarters are dangerous to feed to dogs because they contain weight-bearing bones. I think they forgot the fact that they're hollow. Jeez, I hope not everyone takes that misinformation seriously!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts