Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I work at a discount pet store as a cashier and regularly advise customers about pet nutrition and direct them to raw diets as well as some of the best canned and dry foods. But I never knew my boss wasn't interested in pet nutrition.
There was customer the other day, a women who bought a bunch of canned tripe(green venision tripett), she came to the register and I rung her up. As I finished she tells me that she plans to feed her old dachund a can with some raw beef heart and she questioned if I thought it was a good combo, I mentioned that it was fine as long as she keeps a variety going.Then my boss butts in and says its much better just to feed a dry food, it makes them less picky and cleans their teeth. The woman explained how she had tried dry food and that raw works much better for her, then she thanked us and left. Afterwards my boss tells me, "I don't know why people think they can do better than the manufacturers." I replied " its actually healthier and less expesive." then akward silence and I continued" it's sort of like the natures varitey raw in the freezer." Then he looks at me like I said something extremely offensive. Finally just turns and walks away. This really scared me, I thought I would be cleaning out my locker the next day. But he seemed to have looked past it. :tape2:

Does anyone work in a animal related job and experience this?
Have they ever been scolded or even fired for recommending raw diets?
How do you talk to customers about it?
What do you do about stuck up people who buy(ex:hills) and thinks its the best? Do you talk to them or just let them go?

Also how do you deal with vaccines and flea treatments? People seem fairly happy to use less but they don't seem to understand the harm behind using them.

I've only been at this job for 3months and I love talking to people about better diets, but I would be crushed if I got fired over it.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
I'd say in his opinion it is all about the dollar and he either doesn't want to know or can't be bothered learning about animal nutrition which is a shame considering what he does.

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
Yes, I've been in your shoes before. It blows big time.

I worked as a vet tech at a clinic in CO for about four years and there was constant tension between my boss and I about the fact that I fed raw. Some days I felt like I was going to get fired. So....it was just something we never talked about but still the tension was there. MANY times did I wish I lied and told her I didn't feed raw.

My advice goes two ways:

1) Sit down and tell your boss about your choices to feed raw, the why's, how's, etc. Then ask if it's ok to answer people's questions regarding raw diets so that your store can be a place of support. It would be terrible if the people who think its ok to feed their dogs just tripe and beef heart have bad results...blame the store.

OR

2) NEVER bring it up what you feed, lie and say kibble. STOP helping people who ask about raw. CRY.... :frown:

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
I worked at Petco for a couple of years and was the go to person with nutrition.

Mostly because my co workers didn't care to educate themselves and just listened to the food reps. Then, when people had real, actual questions not found on the brochures, they would page me.

I would cater to the customer. If they were looking for a better quality kibble, I showed them. If they had issues that i knew raw could help with, I would tell them about raw and point them to certain websites as our store did not carry raw. The problem is, your boss wants you to make sales.

See, I didn't care because I knew they wouldn't fire me even though I was pointing people towards raw. (I eventually quit but thats another story).

I would focus on making sales but mention raw to those you think might be interested. Tell your boss to look into getting something to sell that suits the needs of the customers who are looking for it (if he has that kind of authority to do so). Like premade raw to at least have something to offer them (or freeze dried).

If he fires you just because you mention raw, file unemployment or lawyer up because that is a bunch of bull!

·
Registered
989 Posts
A friend of mine has a pet food store and when I'm there I don't get into the whole raw thing, she does sell bagged food but its the upper kibble mostly grain free stuff for dogs and cats so. But she gets me stuff too, just got a case of calf neck bones the dogs love em...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts