Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a flock of 50 meat chicks that we will butcher in about four weeks. We plan on keeping parts for the dogs, an I was thinking the backs, necks, and hearts, as well as what ever else is left over that we won't eat. what other parts are good for them to have? My husband will want the livers. (I hate those, but he loves them). He mentioned the heads and feet also. Are those parts OK for the dogs?

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good! I think they will enjoy it. Just wanted to make sure all we plan on giving them is safe.

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
The entire bird is safe to feed whole, so any single part that you butcher up should be fine to feed, just as long as its big enough to be chewed so as not to swallow it whole.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks ya'll! I feel good about it, since we feed completly natural, and add nothing like the chicken bought stores that tend to have added hormones, antibiotics etc.... I believe they will enjoy it.

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
Poultry from grocery stores don't have added hormones or steroids. In most cases they will only have antibiotics IF there happened to be an outbreak of something in their particular house.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I still prefer knowing exactly what they eat. I know a man here who I get my round bales from for the horses, and he also owns six chicken houses for I think Tyson chickens. I know for a fact he puts some sort of a growth something or other in his feed. I forget now what he called it, but he said not all chicken farmers do it, but he does. Not even sure what it is for, but he had a long name for it. If he is putting some sort of growth chemicals etc in the feed, I wonder what others do that noone knows about. I'm sure he is not supposed to do it, but it makes me wonder. This way, I know for sure my chickens are healthy and fed a natural diet. Just for my own piece of mind I guess.

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
I know for a fact he puts some sort of a growth something or other in his feed.
It's illegal to put growth hormones in chicken feed and it's really unnecessary. The chickens we eat are bred for their fast growth. There is no need to add any hormones to their food. It's the same with steroids.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It's illegal to put growth hormones in chicken feed and it's really unnecessary. The chickens we eat are bred for their fast growth. There is no need to add any hormones to their food. It's the same with steroids.
Yep, it is illeagle to put that junk in the feed. Thats why we got our own meat birds. They grow so amazingly fast as it is, they tend to have heart attacks and leg strength problems. We found we have to limit their feed intake some. I just can't imagine putting anything more there for growth! But still, this way I know for a fact without question what we and the dogs are going to be getting- all natural! Thats the best part.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts