Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I gave my doberman two raw thighs this morning, now she is itching like crazy again I had lowered her dog food portions and she was better. I was thinking maybe too much proteins and it has chicken in it.

Do you all think she is allergic to the chicken? :confused: This is so hard on her and me!!!

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
I doubt it's the chicken. It is more likely that your dog is riding itself of the kibble junk. Kinda like a detox. It will take a bit for you to start noticing changes from raw. This would also hold true if you switched to a different kibble. The results will not be instant.

Stick with it. I know it's hard seeing your baby in agony, but I assure you, you are doing the best thing for her and the agony will go away. :smile::smile:

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
Are you still feeding kibble? If so I would stop that right away and go with exclusively raw.

Was the raw that you gave her bone in?

Like the others have said, give it time and be patient.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Yes she is still on Kibble and was doing great I mean no itches!!! Then she started eating the hair off her body. Scratching like a mad dog. Took her to the vet scraping was done and it is not mites.

She is blotchy spots of hair missing. I am trying to change her slowly. I don't want the poops again. I been giving her a thigh once every other day but have only done them as the last meal of the day. This morning I gave her 2 small sized thighs. She had also eaten a lot of grass and threw it all up! Made her sick!!

Thanks y'all. Anyone have experience with gnawing and scratch at themselves till the hair is missing? MY poor girl is miserable!!! and I am so at a loss as how to help!!

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
Ok....

Are you giving her BONE-IN chicken pieces???

Sounds to me like you might have an environmental allergy going on....

·
Registered
2,004 Posts

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
Oh I meant to answer that ?, yes it had the bone in it. So how do I figure out what the environmental allergy is?
This is a difficult thing to do because the environment has countless things floating around in it all the time. BUT spring and summer are both HIGH allergen times. Our dog Shiloh is usually an itchy dog but right now she is chewing holes in herself. She's managed to get 3 new hotspots going just in the last few weeks. So now she's wearing the cone of shame and taking meds to get it under control. I know its environmental allergies (don't know exactly what but pollen would be my first guess) because she is never quite THIS itchy and nothing has changed in her lifestyle in the last few weeks to induce a sudden change like this.

I work at a vet clinic and now is the time that a lot of dogs get flare ups with environmental allergies.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes it must be flare up time cause I have three family members all living in different towns/citys and state and all 3 dogs are doing the same as mine!! I live next to a highway so it could be anything!

Where can I get one of these cones at? Petsmart? and I was hoping feeding raw would fix this problem!!! sigh!

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
Yes it must be flare up time cause I have three family members all living in different towns/citys and state and all 3 dogs are doing the same as mine!! I live next to a highway so it could be anything!
Exactly! Don't worry so much about what it is exactly. Just get what you need to solve the issue.

Where can I get one of these cones at? Petsmart? and I was hoping feeding raw would fix this problem!!! sigh!
You can get them at PetSmart or Petco. I wouldn't stop feeding raw just because of the allergy problem being environmental. You should keep feeding raw because its the best thing you can do for the dogs that depend on you!

·
Registered
222 Posts
You can also try giving some benedryl. Our dobe, Coors has terrible enviromental allergies. He gets four benedryl a day. Don't give up on raw. You will see great benefits from soon but you also do need to get off the kibble. Like everyone else has said, just be patient and keep coming here. You will have all the guidence you could possibly need!!:smile:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Did he eat his hair off and scratch like crazy! Oh our poor dobermans!! I wish there was something I could buy them!!! OH and yes she has seen the Vet. She is on a antihistamine.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Try every avenue possible, nothing can hurt! Process of elimination may be the only way to find the source of the problem. Keep after it, you will get it. I also believe you will see great differences soon on raw. And staying with it long enough to let the old allergens (if its food related) get out of the system may make a difference. We're all behind you, don't give up!:smile:

·
Registered
10,780 Posts
my dogs don't have allergies and they're itching....hell, i don't have allergies and I'M itching....

perhaps it's time to go back to the beginning...

start with chicken backs, stripped of skin, excess fat and those organ leftovers on the backs...

do that for a week until they normalise....

introduce your proteins slowly and make sure you're not overfeeding them....i found out the hard way that overfeeding is a squirt waiting to happen....and intro your proteins one at a time.....

take your time because this is a lifetime change...dogs have to get used to eating naturally and

you need to not get mixed up with the artificial stuff that dog food companies put into dog food to make humans feel better and dogs feel like crap.

by feeding both, your dogs' digestive systems are at war...plus you're wasting valuable food real estate by continuing with kibble...

i guess the other thing is ....squirts or runs or soft stools happen....i say, carry a large bag filled with baggies and paper towels and butt wipes....

this is not about your comfort and i don't mean to be mean....dogs shouldn't have to live in two countries...the kibble continent and the raw continent...pick one or the other...but not both...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks all of yall...Today she would not eat the raw chicken.

And perhaps magicre you and your dogs should visit a vet and get checked out for the mange.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts