Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought I'd give everyone a quick review of the above online petfood outfits. (I posted this in another thread but thought I'd give it its own thread)...

I've ordered from both petfooddirect and heartypet in the past month.

Quick review...

Pricing very close from each. Very little difference in the prices of products I purchased.

Shipping...both crazy fast. Delivered to my door within a week.

Packaging...petfooddirect boxes arrived in stunningly perfect condition. The boxes did not have a crease or scratch on them. Petfooddirect boxes each bag individually.

Heartypet packaging left alot to be desired...both boxes were mangled....and they put 2 bags in each box. The boxes were torn apart to the point of the food sticking out of one end. Bags appear fine and no signs of tampering, just carelessness.

NOTE-these were my only purchases thus far online....probably not a completely fair representation but certainly a fair representation of my experience.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Thats interesting. I have yet to order from heartypet, though I heard good reviews about it. I've ordered from PFD few times and for the most part its been ok, although they did send me some canned food that was dented and one was busted open. Another time I placed and order on acana pacifica, it was out of stock and they said it would be shipped once they got it back, I waited almost a month and it was listed as back in stock on their site, so I called the customer support, and they told me that they canceled my order because it expired, without notifying me, which I thought was highly unprofessional.

I will probably still order in the future due to coupon offers, but they really dont have a very good customer service compared to other sites.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Uno,

I have to reiterate...the ONLY negative about heartypet was their packaging. Price, customer service...prompt delivery...all were outstanding.

I'll admit, I don't like that box being torn open and mangled...I just don't like it.

I had some friends in college who worked at UPS and they would joke around about how packages get slung around like crazy at their depots. I laughed back then...today, I don't like it, especially when my boys food is in those boxes...so it very well wasn't the fault of Heartypet. But seriously, these boxes were completely trashed. The end on one of them was competely exposed and wide open.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
I have ordered from a few on line stores and can't complain YET!!!!!!!!!!!! But you can get mangled packages that are manhandled. My hubby orders a lot of things on line and he has had a few boxes damaged, but as long as the contents are intact no problem! The conveniences and inconveniences of the on line shipping process!:rolleyes:

I just got for a 3 day period from pet food direct,

free shipping up to 70 lbs on orders of 100$or more~
until April 14th at midnight~

code~ FREESHIP70

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
I just placed an order yesterday at Petfooddirect. I got EVO regular small bites on sale for $54.99, Evo red meat small bites on sale, Evo 95% canned, and a case of By Nature 95% canned on sale for 11.89 for a 12 pack of 13 oz canned. I had an additional $26.66 discount taken off with the coupon which just about covered shipping. . Many many years ago I had a few problems with shipping but it hasn't happened in the past 5 or 6 years. And they always send me some kind of free sample in my package! Usually its some kind of cat treat but my dogs will eat it! My local store doesn't carry any variety in canned grain free and this also saves me the tax so it works out well for me. I haven't tried any other mail order except Dr.s Foster n Smith for vitamins and meds.

The only one I feel sorry for is my UPS guy. He brings a dolly now to deliver my boxes.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have ordered from a few on line stores and can't complain YET!!!!!!!!!!!! But you can get mangled packages that are manhandled. My hubby orders a lot of things on line and he has had a few boxes damaged, but as long as the contents are intact no problem! The conveniences and inconveniences of the on line shipping process!:rolleyes:

I just got for a 3 day period from pet food direct,

free shipping up to 70 lbs on orders of 100$or more~
until April 14th at midnight~

code~ FREESHIP70
Wags,

When I was using the code FREESHIP50 at PFD...you could use the code over and over and over...you just had to put in a new order.

Great deal.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Ha thats what hooked me in haha! hook line and sinker! I ordered 4 times with that code! ha! Now I need more wet food so oh no here we go again hahahahaha!:biggrin:

·
Registered
127 Posts
sorry to barge in the comparison on both of those online retailers but i have yet acheived the customer service from either of them that i think a customer deserves! i moved my purchases to naturalk9supplies.com, i frequently order the evangers game meats and salmon oil, along with acana pacifica from time to time, most of my orders get shipped out the same day, and the prices are super low. From time to time, i do need to purchase from PFD for certain dog toys as the supplies on natural k9 are limited to mostly food and treats. would be nice to hear from others on reviews of other online retailers as i am always looking for backups, by the way you can use the coupon code K9TW5 for 5% off.

L

·
0 Posts
My very first order from HeartyPet is due to arrive tomorrow (55 pounds via UPS) and I hope everything will be intact!

The last time I ordered from PFD they sent me an expired bag of kibble. I called customer service and they asked that I send them the UPC bar code from the bag along with the date stamp. Then they sent me another, fresher bag at no cost to me.

·
Registered
127 Posts
my other concern with PFD is some of the products they carry shouldnt even be sold to dog owners, everyone knows what brands i am referring to. I wish it was less commercialized, HeartyPet has some great brands, much better than PFD, NaturalK9Supplies.com is the same as well, they keep their brands high quality, the prices on HeartyPet is a bit high though.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
sorry to barge in the comparison on both of those online retailers but i have yet acheived the customer service from either of them that i think a customer deserves! i moved my purchases to naturalk9supplies.com, i frequently order the evangers game meats and salmon oil, along with acana pacifica from time to time, most of my orders get shipped out the same day, and the prices are super low. From time to time, i do need to purchase from PFD for certain dog toys as the supplies on natural k9 are limited to mostly food and treats. would be nice to hear from others on reviews of other online retailers as i am always looking for backups, by the way you can use the coupon code K9TW5 for 5% off.
Sal, I checked out your site you recommend....you're right, good prices.

Do they offer the shipping promotions like Heartypet and PFD? Those reduced shipping deals are the only way it makes it worthwhile for me to go online. --Or-- do you know if they offer an auto ship deal?

·
Registered
127 Posts
unfortunately they do not :( this is the word i got, i called the local store, some how i got them to volunteer some information after placing a big order hehe, the profit margin they make is slim and they cannot reduce shipping charges because they are a new online retailer, they said it is hard to negotiate reduced shipping rates with fedex, ups when they are new. I played with the cart a bit comparing with PFD and HeartyPet. lets take an example of purchasing Orijen 6 Fish, oops wait, PFD was out of stock of that one, lets take Orijen Large Breed Puppy 29.7 lbs, the total price of each after shipping is the following:

Natural K9: 76.33 if you use the K9TW5 code it comes down to 73.33
PFD: 83.78
Hearty Pet: 77.01

i guess it also determines where you are located so that may not be fair. I asked about the auto ship, they said since they are new, it is not available online now, but if you call their number they can set you up with auto ship. I just think a customer should research and find the best service along with the price, the customer service at natural k9 is truly 100% thus far, lets just hope it stays top notch.

·
Banned
1,713 Posts
unfortunately they do not :( this is the word i got, i called the local store, some how i got them to volunteer some information after placing a big order hehe, the profit margin they make is slim and they cannot reduce shipping charges because they are a new online retailer, they said it is hard to negotiate reduced shipping rates with fedex, ups when they are new. I played with the cart a bit comparing with PFD and HeartyPet. lets take an example of purchasing Orijen 6 Fish, oops wait, PFD was out of stock of that one, lets take Orijen Large Breed Puppy 29.7 lbs, the total price of each after shipping is the following:

Natural K9: 76.33 if you use the K9TW5 code it comes down to 73.33
PFD: 83.78
Hearty Pet: 77.01

i guess it also determines where you are located so that may not be fair. I asked about the auto ship, they said since they are new, it is not available online now, but if you call their number they can set you up with auto ship. I just think a customer should research and find the best service along with the price, the customer service at natural k9 is truly 100% thus far, lets just hope it stays top notch.
shipping on that site is astronomical.
ill use canidae grain free as an example. my local feed store carries it for dirt cheap plus i have a few 2 dolalr coupons so i dont plan on using these sites jsut was curious.

feed store is 49.50 or so after taxes. 30 pounds
nagtural k9 is 64.28 after 22 dollars shipping!!!!!!!!!!
petfood direct is 52.98 after a 20 percent off coupon and 63 and change before the coupon and after shipping so stil lcheaper either way.

hearty pet doesnt carry it.

·
Registered
127 Posts
i guess it all depends on where you are located. i always say, if the price plus shipping, in online stores is higher than a local store that is within 15 min of where you live, then by all means, i would rather go to the local store :cool: i guess since natural k9 is close to where i live my shipping is cheaper. all online retailers should just have flat cheaping rates, FREE haha. I just priced the Canidae Grain Free on NaturalK9Supplies and my total was 57.62, it all has to do with the location, but they did mention to me that FedEx is working on lowering their rates.

·
Banned
1,713 Posts
i bet petfooddirect is really far from you, since its only 11-12 shipping for me. id like to see you price it!

·
Registered
127 Posts
Canidae Grain Free at PFD total price with shipment was $71.98! see pic below, way too much! ill stick with natural k9 supplies!

I mean if the price was close i would look at customer service, but honestly i did not have much luck with that either at PFD. it could certainly be my luck. either way, everyone should do their research and compare, then do what makes most sense for them.

·
Registered
127 Posts
i might as well put the screenshot of natural k9 supplies as well, it is below

heartypet was out of stock on the canidae grain free ALS, but i priced shipping on another 30 lbs bag to me and it was $17.02 via UPS

·
Banned
1,713 Posts
i might as well put the screenshot of natural k9 supplies as well, it is below

heartypet was out of stock on the canidae grain free ALS, but i priced shipping on another 30 lbs bag to me and it was $17.02 via UPS
i dont even think heartypet carries canidae grain free. for me, since i have coupons for canidae it is worth buying at the local feed store. it comes to 49 and change after tax, which is a steal. i do plan on eventually switching to either origen red, or evo salmon, so i will probably buy the evo on petfood direct. i dont see orijen red on pet food direct.

but when they offer 20 percent off, or free shipping i will definitely purchase some evo salmon from pet food direct,cause that's next in shanes rotation if i cant find the orijen red.*which now i cant) it's a big risk changing him to a fish diet, since hes been on chicken and turkey, and lamb his whole life.i'd rather switch to red meat, but dont like evos formula .

·
Banned
1,713 Posts
i dont even think heartypet carries canidae grain free. for me, since i have coupons for canidae it is worth buying at the local feed store. it comes to 49 and change after tax, which is a steal. i do plan on eventually switching to either origen red, or evo salmon, so i will probably buy the evo on petfood direct. i dont see orijen red on pet food direct.

but when they offer 20 percent off, or free shipping i will definitely purchase some evo salmon from pet food direct,cause that's next in shanes rotation if i cant find the orijen red.*which now i cant) it's a big risk changing him to a fish diet, since hes been on chicken and turkey, and lamb his whole life.i'd rather switch to red meat, but dont like evos formula .
evo herring-

hearty pet- 76.49
pfd=82.88
natural k9 supplies-75.65

man naturalk9 supplies has extremely low prices,but their shipping hikes it up. you are lucky you live so close, because herring evo would be like 60 for you i bet. i dont even kn ow if my store carries it, but il lcheck.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Evo Herring and Salmon for me came out to just over $65 with shipping on natural k9 supplies.

can i recommend three other foods that i think would go good with shane's rotation.

1. Acana Pacifica
2. Acana Grasslands
3. Nature's Variety Duck / Turkey

I also wanted to get the orijen red, but when i made the call to pfd, they mentioned that champion (manufacturer of orijen) does not allow online sales for this product since they classify it as a seasonal product. Or even the Evo Red Meat is along the same line as Orijen Red, but i feel Orijen is a superior brand.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts