Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is always interesting, I rotate between grain free foods, but I notice that whenever I go from something with lower protein (acana, wellness core), to orijen and now horizon, Unos coat gets this gleam to it and he has this mettalic sheen in the sun. I guess its due to the higher ammount of omega 3's, but its strange how fast this happens, literally all it takes is a week. I think its because his coat is so short, its just more evident as the skin is moisturized within.

Has anyone else noticed it with short haired breeds?
this was taken last night, he was cranky and didnt want the picture taken with the x-mas tree.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Yeah Bailey's coat was great when she was on Horizon, it's even better now that she's on raw. I can't believe how shiney and soft it has gotten.

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Uno looks great under that tree! I have Rocky on Orijen kibble with Evo canned and he just turned 18 months. Since he is a long haired, double coated breed I can't say anything about the shinyness of his coat. But he just went thru his first shedding this summer where he blew his entire coat out and is now growing it back. I guess he has gone thru his teenage time because he is growing his coat back really soft and full and is actually growing taller and very muscular suddenly. We are actually starting to think he may have Malamute mixed in him instead of husky because he is so muscular and tall now. He can stare right onto the dining room table which is much taller then any Chow. He is my first pup that will be raised on entirely grain free food so it is interesting to see how he turns out. I haven't rotated him onto Horizon but I may seeing what good luck you've had with it. Is it any particular Horizon that you use? I haven't really researched that one at all.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)

For now Horizon only makes the chicken formula (grain free legacy line), but its very similar to chicken Orijen, except they use pea starch instead of potatoes as a binder. Uno hasnt had any digestive issues or eye discharge which is common when I switch to a new food and he likes the taste, I first ordered a small bag when it was free on k9cuisine.com, but since he seems to be dong fine on it, I ordered the big bag today since its on special for $55 plus free shipping and free samples.

Another odd thing is that he eats so little of it, I dont know whether its because he's metabolism is slow, but he gets little less then 3/4 cup-twice a day. He's very energetic and we go running each morning for 3 miles and then another 40 min walk at night plus a lot of off leash time.

I dont know if you have it near you, but theres a store called Complete Petmart that has it in their online store and I believe you can special order it from them to have it shipped to the store.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Wow! He looks so beautiful! You can see every muscle under that shiny skin, he does look metallic! Great looking dog :smile:
I don't feed grain free, so I can't say about increased shine due to that, but mine have gotten pretty shiny from adding Omega fatty acid capsules and coconut oil to their food. I also have had a lot less itching and shedding around here..

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
Uno is always such a handsome boy!

I've noticed that with my dogs too, they always have beautiful, soft, shiny coats, but they've been getting a little more fish and salmon oil over the past week and now I don't want to stop petting and snuggling them because they're even softer! (I'm the girl who, when I was 8 years old, chose my cat because she was the softest of the bunch even though she was an anti-social b***h and still is haha, so I loooooove soft animals :biggrin:)

So yeah, I notice the change too, but i also have super short-haired dogs.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts