Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am feeding 3 similar sized dogs twice a day, 3/4 cup each time, my recipe is as follows:
1 lb ground turkey
2 cups chunked raw sweet potatoes
2 small apples
3 large carrots(either grated or sliced)
2 cups frozen cut green beans
4 cups brown rice
8 cups water(to cook)

I put it all in my rice cooker and let it cook, after its done I add 1/4 cup avocado oil and then let cool. This feeds my dogs for 3 days, they also get a multivitamin each morning!
Any suggestions on making it better? I was thinking scramble half a dozen eggs into each batch for more protein? My girls have been on this food for about 3 weeks with no visible negative effects but figured it couldn't hurt to pick the collective mind, lol :smile:

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am an avid believer in raw feeding and I don't believe in giving a dog many fruits and vegetables, and especially grains (rice, wheat, oats, etc). In the wild they would only have this in small amounts in the digestive tract of their kill, or from foraging to prevent themselves from starving to death. My two dogs saw a tremendous improvement when I started them on a raw diet. They eat all kinds of raw meat and also eggs, shell and all if they'll eat it (mine don't eat the shell often). Don't buy into the baloney that dogs will get food poisoning from raw meats - they won't - unless they are already sickly. Dog's teeth and their digestive system are made to eat raw meat, and the fact that they can't cook their own food proves that point. My older dog had diarrhea often and threw up almost every day. I tried every kind of food known to man, and the only thing that cured him was a raw diet, and boy do my dogs LOVE it. It did take a couple days for them to get the "what the heck is THIS stuff" look off their faces.

I will say that the food I am currently feeding is preground (80/10/10 = 80% muscle meat, 10% organ meat, 10% bone) because both of mine were older when they started this and I was afraid they wouldn't know how to properly chew. I was terrified the first time I fed a piece of raw meat to my dogs because of everyone saying it would make them sick or kill them (read: brainwashing by Big Dog Food, and not even Vets are immune). But it turned out to be the best thing I ever did for them. My two cents. Bottom line is your dogs are your choice and as long as they are healthy then everyone should be happy. :) I like to share my success with raw feeding because so many people have been conditioned into believing it is detrimental when the extreme opposite is actually true. All this being said, some folks don't enjoy handling raw meat, and it can be kinda gross but I've gotten used to it. Again, just my two cents. Cheers!

·
Registered
874 Posts
I am not a big believer either in feeding grains, with that said, there is more veggies and other ingredients and not enough meat, there is no organ which is where dogs get a lot of vitamins, you have sweet potatos, carrots and apples all have sugar.

this was my first try at crockpot dog food years ago for a foster dog (mine now who eats raw)

2 pound chicken with bones
1 cup chicken hearts
1/2 cup beef hearts
beef kidney & liver
1 sweet potato
2 whole carrots
1/2 cup blueberries
1/2 cup spinach
1 cup grean beans
4 eggs w/shells
1/2 cup Kale

More meat than veggies and I switch up protiens and veggies