Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I often feed my girls their meat frozen, as a) they like some of it better frozen (organs, fish especially), and b) our fridge is usually pretty full and I shamefully sleep in too much so they want to be fed right away! I've heard some people say feeding frozen is BAD and some say it's no biggie. What I haven't heard is WHY for either. Keep in mind we don't feed beef, at least not yet, as one has a bad allergy, so it's not large pieces - mostly chicken and pork. I do run hot water over it first to soften it up a bit. They seem to have no trouble eating it!

Thanks!

·
Registered
832 Posts
Little dog Tiffa always gets hers thawed to room temperature. Big dog Tanis gets 90% of his meals frozen. He seems to like it better this way. This morning he got fresh beef heart that and came back to me almost disappointed that he ate it so quickly.

·
Registered
3,435 Posts
My boys LOVE frozen food!:happy: The puggie gets most of his meals frozen, it helps him eat a little slower!:biggrin: Rhett likes it cause it helps his teething, Leo....well Leo tolerates it!LOL

·
Registered
325 Posts
My dogs(and cat) eat every meal frozen. It helps them chew and shred the meat more(to clean those teeth!), slow them down, and I normally forget to take something out to thaw in the morning anyway. I do not remember until I get home from work after 6, by then the pups are already starving!

Reactions: Scarlett_O'

·
Registered
71 Posts
Wilma will only eat chicken if its frozen,used to be the same with liver,but she will eat that defrosted now.
Arctic foxes will stash excess food caught in the summer months to tide them over through the winter,when they come to dig it up ,its frozen.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow, I expected to get "chewed" out!! Thanks guys! I did pick up a strainer just for the dogs yesterday, so I can rinse more in hot water. My chi always eats really quickly and then bugs my shep. I'm discovering this morning that a small amount of tough bone in her meat makes her take longer!

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
I don't think there's anything wrong with feeding frozen food. I have two that simply won't eat anything frozen (Mousse, and Annie) but that's a non-issue for the rest of them so they often times get the frozen chunk in the middle of the bin that hasn't thawed yet.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts