Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you feed your dogs? Besides raw meat, I know! lol! Do you just feed chicken pieces, plus some organs? What kind of meat is best? What about when you go out of town, and how often, and how much?
Thanks

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
What do you feed your dogs? Besides raw meat, I know! lol! Do you just feed chicken pieces, plus some organs? What kind of meat is best? What about when you go out of town, and how often, and how much?
Thanks
Great questoins. I feed raw meat, bones and organs from a variety of animals. Yes I feed chicken pieces plus turkey pieces, pig pieces, cow pieces, deer pieces, goat pieces, lamb pieces, whole rabbits , whole fish, and anything they can catch on their own. :smile:

There is no single "best" meat. Variety is best.

When people go out of town, some pack the dog's food in an ice chest. Some buy at grocery stores at their destination. Some take freeze dried food with them.

I think you are asking how often we feed our dogs. I feed twice a day but some feed once a day. I know a few who feed every other day and even some who feed 2 or 3 times a week. Most of us feed once or twice a day.

The general rule of thumb is to feed 2% to 3% of the dogs ideal adult weight/day. This is only in the beginning. You adjust volume up or down according to the dog's build.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great questoins. I feed raw meat, bones and organs from a variety of animals. Yes I feed chicken pieces plus turkey pieces, pig pieces, cow pieces, deer pieces, goat pieces, lamb pieces, whole rabbits , whole fish, and anything they can catch on their own. :smile:

There is no single "best" meat. Variety is best.

When people go out of town, some pack the dog's food in an ice chest. Some buy at grocery stores at their destination. Some take freeze dried food with them.

I think you are asking how often we feed our dogs. I feed twice a day but some feed once a day. I know a few who feed every other day and even some who feed 2 or 3 times a week. Most of us feed once or twice a day.

The general rule of thumb is to feed 2% to 3% of the dogs ideal adult weight/day. This is only in the beginning. You adjust volume up or down according to the dog's build.
Thanks, I am considering giving this a try. My Golden Retriever always has itchy stinky ears, and think this would help her.

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
Thanks, I am considering giving this a try. My Golden Retriever always has itchy stinky ears, and think this would help her.
Cool! Go to my web page linked in my sig. Read it thoroughly, check out the links on the page and you will know all you need to begin feeding a raw diet. If you have more questions please ask them.

A raw diet will almost always help itchy stinky ears by getting the carbs out of the diet.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cool! Go to my web page linked in my sig. Read it thoroughly, check out the links on the page and you will know all you need to begin feeding a raw diet. If you have more questions please ask them.

A raw diet will almost always help itchy stinky ears by getting the carbs out of the diet.
Thanks! I'm goin' to check it out now!

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
Yeah, I feed the same as RFD except I only feed once a day, but my dogs only need about a pound of food each and since most of my food comes in serving sizes of about a pound, they just get it once a day and it works fine for me and them. Raw should definitely help with your dog's ear problem!

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, I feed the same as RFD except I only feed once a day, but my dogs only need about a pound of food each and since most of my food comes in serving sizes of about a pound, they just get it once a day and it works fine for me and them. Raw should definitely help with your dog's ear problem!
Thanks I'm going to try it. Luckily my husband is a big hunter, so I can get started with some of the wild game in the freezer!

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
That's awesome... but I think it's supposed to make for an easier transition on the dog if you feed strictly chicken for the first two weeks, then start adding in the different variety of protein sources and organs, etc.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong though, RFD.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's awesome... but I think it's supposed to make for an easier transition on the dog if you feed strictly chicken for the first two weeks, then start adding in the different variety of protein sources and organs, etc.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong though, RFD.
Ok, well I can do that to. Don't really want upset tummies.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts